Deciding on a cooler and motherboard for new build

Hello!

I’m new here so sorry if I mess something up.

I’m a 3D artist who works in games (UE4 and Unity mostly). I use a variety of software including Blender, 3D Coat, Zbrush, Substance Painter/ Designer, Photoshop. I’m also a gamer.

I’ve recently picked up an Nvidia 3080 TI and a Ryzen 5950X. I really want to get these components to fit into a Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact and have good airflow/ thermals. I’m sure the 3080 TI will fit but I’m concerned about the 5950X cooling solution. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good cooler that will fit? I plan on 1 m.2 drive (maybe 2), an SSD and 32 gigs of ram so the system wont be too dense.

Also, I’m thinking of getting either the GIGABYTE X570S AORUS MASTER for a mobo or the ASRock X570S PG RIPTIDE. If anyone has any opinions about these, I’d love to read them!

I don’t plan on overclocking (except maybe the PBO). My goal is a somewhat compact, well optimized, powerful system that keeps cool under load.

Thanks in advance!

Update: For the mobo, I’m considering the MSI MPG X570s Edge Max Wifi. Its cheaper and has more features I find useful.

Hi PolyFerret and welcome to the forums!

If you haven’t seen Wendell’s review on the Meshify 2 Compact I would definitely recommend checking out his video… lots of good info there. But TLDR; it’s a great case and should be quite capable of handling the thermals from both a 5950X and a 3080ti. I realized after typing most this reply that you didn’t specify whether you’re looking for a CPU air cooler or a radiator that “will fit” the case. So, here’s my air cooler recommendation :slight_smile:

When choosing a CPU air cooler, you’ll be more restricted by the thermal demands of the 5950X than the “compact” case depth. The case has a max CPU depth of 169mm which will still accommodate my two top air cooler picks which are the Noctua NH-D15 (also available in black but good luck find it in-stock) and the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.

If you’re looking for a closed loop AIO cooler then let us know and someone else will be able to make a good suggestion for that case.

Edit: Forgot to add, Gigabyte Aorus Master board all day over the Asrock Riptide. The Gigabyte board has a much better VRM and personally Asrock’s BIOS always disappoints me.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the reply Four0Four!

To be honest, I didn’t put if I wanted an AIO or not because I’m torn about them. I’ve always thought if your pump dies, your CPU will probably be in trouble. However, I am open to suggestions for AIOs if anyone has any.

I’ve been eyeballing the Noctua for a while now. Maybe its a sign, haha. Thank you very much for the suggestions!

Thats fair about the Asrock Bios. They do seem to be lacking (my current build has an Asrock ab350m)

Gigabyte software sucks so bad as to actually be harmful to the device. If you ever, and I mean ever, think you might have an interest in RGB or using the OEM MOBO software, avoid them like the plague.

1 Like

yeah, I’ve been reading about that. I’m actually thinking of the MSI MPG X570S EDGE MAX WIFI now. Their mobos have served me well in the past. Plus its a lot cheaper!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.