Decent laptop for £1000 and under

Right so basically, I have a friend who is currently using a MacBook and I keep telling him how there's better stuff out there for the money. So he's accepted this offer and I said I'll find him a decent laptop (MacBook like) for less than the price of a MacBook. I was wondering if anyone could help me with reccomendations I may not have thought of.

The help is much appreciated.

Lol, there's a lot. Check Newegg or something. £1000 is quite a cushion. Maybe a high tier Inspiron or an XPS.

Which macbook is it?

I've been looking and pointing out some of the good laptops and some from Newegg, he seems to be set on getting a MacBook because of the touchbar

He currently has the 2012 MacBook Pro and is thinking about upgrading to the MacBook with the touchbar

Perhaps point out to him that the X1 Carbon had the touchbar three years ago, had better profile overall, weighed less, came with a trackpoint, and did not cost a kidney?!?!? :-P

But for that kinda budget I'd look into Xotic PC, Eurocom, or a stacked up Purism 15!

1 Like

The touchbar is a horrible gimmick and shrinking battery capacity is unacceptable. I would not recommend a current MBP. That aside I think to say macbooks are always overpriced is incorrect. They are more expensive than most other laptops, yes. But those are two different things.

My advice would be he should look out for a deal on a 2015 model.

Thank you for the recommendations, in all honesty I don't think my efforts and evidence will be enough because he isn't the most tech savvy guy, he just wants something that works with little effort.

1 Like

Well because he's set on the touchbar (for some strange reason) I've recommended that he should wait for a little while and buy one a bit cheaper for a refurbished price. He's adamant to have the latest model because he doesn't look any further than what the company says about the product.

You can not help him anymore. He is lost.

I'm sorry.

1 Like

Ah, obedient consumerism!

1 Like

To be completely honest if I did too and I wasn't intending upon doing anything computer science related I'd probably get a macbook too.
If he's not the most tech savvy guy he's not gonna be into getting the best value in terms of performance.
He just wants to throw money at the problem and have it go away.