Decent chair that is available in the UK

Day 2 and I’m really not sure. I have the back stiffness on 16 or 17. 16 seems too loose and 17 puts too much pressure on me. I like to push back into the chair a bit.

The lumbar support is an issue too. It has 4 settings. 1 and 2 don’t give enough support. 3 is okay but moves too easily. 4 is too hard.

I’ll stick with it, got 14 days to decide if I want to keep it, good old EU consumer laws.

Just noticed the arm is falling apart. Contacted them for an RMA. Damn it.

Wow, that’s poor. How disappointing.

They don’t seem to answer email either, going to have to call on Monday.

Maybe I’ll try a Let’s B instead.

I’ve had my Let’s B for about 3 years second hand. The only negative thing about it (IMO) is that it has become squeaky when I lean back when unlocked. I suppose I could fix that with some WD40 or similar…

EDIT - at my heaviest I was over 17 stone / 110kg and I was frequently working from home 2 days a week and now full time. No back problems and I am 6’4" and have had issues with other chairs in the past.

1 Like

They are taking it back, paid for return shipping. I found a place nearby that has chairs, going to try them on Monday.

I ordered a Herman Miller Mirra 2 off eBay for £200! Looks mint. The guy lives in Wales so I guess he thought there wouldn’t be much interest. Arranging a courier to collect now.

As for the Steelcase Please… It is a great chair in general, I think the two issues for me were:

Not enough padding, it’s a bit firm which by itself would be fine, except…

The recline mechanism doesn’t lock so when sat upright there is constant pressure on your bank and it’s a bit of a balancing act to keep it from moving too much. You get used to it but it’s still unecessary strain, or maybe it’s encouraging you to move, I don’t know. Maybe the Leap or another Steelcase chair would be better but there is nowhere to try them out around here.

I’ve read the entire thread. Literally every post.

Did you get the Herman Miller Mirra? I need to know.

I’m hanging on a cliff like watching the end of Season 7 of Friends. We’re they on a break? Tell me, please.

Also, I’ve ordered an autonomous.ai that’s due to ship in few days and I’m mildly concerned about it now.

Do you think I should cancel?

I trust you.

1 Like

I stumbled across this thread while researching chairs. I’m following with interest. Is the thread still active?
I work from home full time now. In the office I have a Herman Miller Mirra 2 (by the looks of it) it’s great, but not good enough to make me want to drive 20 miles every day one the lockdown is over :slight_smile:
I have a crappy old (probably Viking Direct) chair at home and it is really had it’s day, especially now I’ve been wfh so much. The arms hold the back up and those just broke so now I daren’t put any pressure on it.

I would have bought the Secret Labs Titan if it wasn’t looking like 2 month before they have stock to deliver, Same for the ErgoChair2, but now I am seriously doubting all of the info and reviews.
I saw this Contract 24/7 Posture, but it was searching for info on that which brought me here.

btw, the Mirra is not great when wearing shorts, the edge of the seat digs into your legs over time

I got a Herman Miller Mirra 2. Got a bargain on eBay because it was local collection only in Wales. I arranged a “man with a van” courier which turned out to be a bit of nightmare, but a week late it was delivered.

I’m still getting used to it so my opinion might change, but so far so good. It’s open and cool, doesn’t get really hot like the Please did. I find it comfortable but it does take some getting used to.

The tilt/recline mechanism has three settings. You have full recline, half way recline and a limit you can set in a few different positions. Then the tilt also has a tension adjustment. At first I tried it quite high tension so that the tension alone is enough to hold me upright but I can recline by pushing back a bit, similar to the Please. But like the Please I found the pressure on my back a bit much so I make it lighter and switched to using the limiter.

I think someone lighter than me might be okay with either the Mirra 2 or the Please with the tilt tension and that is really the ideal mode.

The limiter is fine though, comfortable. The chair moves as I do and provides good support. Back pain is clearing up. The backrest is made of plastic which doesn’t look comfortable but it is, more so than the Please in fact. Lumbar support is “subtle” but enough.

The recline function isn’t as good as the Please either. It doesn’t support your back as well. To access it you have to lean forward a bit to switch the tilt mode. It takes a bit of practice but I can switch between upright and reclined easily now.

The arm rests don’t seem as nice as the Please somehow. You can adjust them up and down, in and our and turn them. The Please ones just seemed to be better positioned even if they were less adjustable.

The seat is comfortable and cool. Mesh allows air to circulate, same with the back. It’s maybe not as comfortable as a cushion but only a little less and it’s a worthwhile trade-off. It’s kind of curved, like a hump in the middle. That helps you stay in position and far enough back for good posture, instead of slouching.

Again though I find that when I want to recline I tend to slouch instead, where as with the Please I just naturally tilted back and maintained perfect support.

In conclusion the MIrra 2 is a fine chair, I would recommend it. But you need to decide what is the best for you. The Please and other Steelcase chairs are a good option if you like to recline and if you are either lighter or don’t mind a bit of pressure on your back. I was getting used to it by the time I returned the chair, would probably have stuck with it if it wasn’t for the damaged arm.

The Mirra is good for micro movements and keeping you cool and in a good sitting position. If you get up a lot or move a lot the Mirra might be better because with the Please it the tilt every time where as the Mirra remembers where you set the limit.

1 Like

Looks like you got a bargain, does it have all the options?
I was looking again at Mirra2 new, with all the downgradable “options” removed it comes in at:
Incl. Tax: £383.88 delivered, but this is only after removing the Arms, Tilt Limiter , front seat depth adjust and adjustable lumbar support. Can add some of those back in but all of them take the price over £586 :frowning:

Yeah, it’s “fully loaded” as they say. The front edge adjustment thing isn’t much use to me but a smaller person might need it.

I found the same thing new, it’s very expensive with the minimum viable set of options. Buying chairs is a pain because there are so many options and you can’t try them out for more than a few minutes most of the time.

Keep an eye on eBay and be prepared to wait. I’ve had a few bargains that were collection only.

What did you use for courier? The ones I looked at online didn’t do packages that big. Saw one place but 70 miles from me so collection only would be a mission

Can you just dom it up there? 70 miles is well within eye test range.

I used Shiply. Be warned I made the mistake of taking the cheapest option and it was dire. Avoid “Goldparcels”. Arrived a week late and needed a good clean because of the dirty rag they covered it with.

I’m actually thinking of selling the Mirra and getting another Steel case Please.

The Mirra is nice but the upper back support on the Please is better.

Really? I thought you discounted the Please after trying it, also by the way you described the back and recline in previous posts sounded like the mirra2 would be just what you were looking for.
I never considered the please because it seems fairly narrow, and I’m not :slight_smile:

I changed my mind about the Please. I’m not very narrow either but it was fine. The arm rests were better positioned than the Mirra I think too.

The saga continues…

I ordered another Please V2 from 2ndhnd. Arrived but had the wrong arms and the tilt tension mechanism was broken. It’s being returned.

I want a Please V2 but 2ndhnd seem to have given up, didn’t even bother offering to send another. Try eBay maybe… Gaaaah.

Did you consider Sidiz T50?
They seem to be fairly available on 2nd hand market and it’s possible to buy replacement lumbar-support/headrest/cushions if needed.

I know that If you are already set on the Please V2 then this is not constructive but this thread seems popular enough that others could find this suggestion useful.

1 Like

I have given up on 2ndhnd. Ordered another Please from Office Resale, fingers crossed.