Debian and PCI SATA controller?

Hello,

Allright, i’ll try to get as much information as i can remember :slight_smile:

I’ve been running an old machine with 6x WD RED 3TB drives, 4 of the drives attached to the Motherboard SATA ports, and 2 drives attached to a Startech PEXSAT12 PCI Sata controller.
This have been working fine for a long time with my old Intel i7-2600.

But well, yesterday i upgraded, i need to make some virtual machines instead, and wanted some more power, and a dedicated SSD for OS.

I bought the following:

Ryzen 7 1700
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3
8 gb LPX RAM
R5 230 GPU
Evo 960 500GB M.2 SSD

The motherboard itself got 6x SATA ports, but two of those disappears when i use the m.2 slot, so i just attached my Startech PCI SATA card, and attached 2 of my WD RED disks to this, and the 4 others to motherboard.

Well, the BIOS detects all 6 WD RED drives, and after post also shows the config screen for my Startech PCI SATA, and i am able to make changes to it.

But, no matter which OS i try to boot, the OS just won’t see the 2 drives attached to the Startech controller.
Debian reports “comreset failed errno 16” on boot, and keeps doing this 6 times before actually booting into the OS.
Also tried with Proxmox, same error.

I’ve checked all SATA cables and connection, and switched which HDD’s is on which ports, still the same.
I’ve run out of ideas now, and need some help :slight_smile:

The device may not support PCI boot due to UEFI Rom on the PCI SATA controller. You may be able manage it in debian with md or lvm.

This sounds similar to an issue that i have with my Asus X370 board where some SATA and USB controllers only work in x16/x8 slots wired directly to the CPU.

Do me a favor and try to swap your GPU over to the bottom x4 slot and install the SATA controller in the top x16 slot. This is not the configuration you want to run, but i am interested in whether the controller works then.

Just tried this, and sadly the same error.
Worth a shot though, since the controller actually was sitting in a x16 slot before the move :slight_smile:

@Mastic_Warrior I am not able to see the disks at all when i’ve booted my os :slight_smile:

I think there is a bug in either the AMD chipset or Asus firmware, because my cards don’t work in any of the slots that go through the chipset. (the top slot is connected directly to the cpu and worked for all of my pcie cards)

Wow, that is just weird