Debating on build now or wait

List

Some background:

I have waited a long time to upgrade my pc. i’m currently sitting on a AMD a10-7800 with no GPU, 16 GB DDR3 on an ITX board with a 650w PSU and a noctua heatsink and case fan. I’ve attempted upgrades in the past but things always got in the way.

Why I’m hesistant to upgrade right now:

Obviously all next gen stuff is right around the corner and the family is going to be moving at some point in the near future estimated 6-9 months maybe a year and really want to build after the move just to have one less thing to worry about moving especially so expensive with it being my first real gaming/streaming pc

Notes:
I had the 5900x in there because it was on a sale at the time for about $320 it’s gone up since then
Also ignore the DDR5 kit. I was just saving it because I thought it was affordable for DDR5 kit

You can get a 12400f and MSI B660M-A for the same price as the 5900X on sale. If you think you need e-cores for productivity there is also the 12600.

With new and significantly better technology right around the corner, it makes no sense to invest into new high end components. If you absolutely need an i9/r9, shop used.

You say gaming/streaming, but what resolution and settings are you trying to play at?

I currently have 2 ultrawide monitors @ 2560x1080. I will probably at some point get a 1080p 240hz monitor. I’m thinking about streaming Iracing at some point at whatever settings give consistant max frames

Should you upgrade? This depends if you can run what you have until February next year.

Why February? By February, the new stuff is out, all quirks on the Intel H610 / B660 / H670 / W680 / Z690 motherboards will have been ironed out, DDR5 will have dropped in price ($30 instead of $100 extra), and 13th gen will by then be thoroughly tested.

Meanwhile on the AMD side, AM5 will have been out for 3-6 months by then, along with the A620 / B650 / X670 boards. While not all bugs will be fixed by then, most initial quirks will be ironed out. So I would say, unless you don’t mind the rough ride this autumn as the new generations get broken in, february is the month to aim for.

I personally am more interested in the AMD system, because if AM4 is any indication I can possibly keep the same motherboard for at least five years, only swapping CPU and upgrading RAM.

That said… If your machine is on your last legs, and you are fine with no upgrades to CPU and memory, a 5950X build with 64 GB of memory today makes a TON of sense, too. One word of caution though, make sure you have the cooling for a 5900X or 5950X, ITX boxes especially are pretty limited unfortunately.

At the same time, pairing a 5950 with an RX 6600 is like going to the gym and work only torso and legs for 6 months. You can’t lift worth shit but MAN can you jump if you do that. High end CPU deserves a high end GPU.

With that in mind, I would recommend this build for you if you plan on upgrading today. If you want extreme high-end, get a 5950X and 6700 XT or better.

Better yet, throw in a PSU and a Case in there and you can maybe sell your old system, or at least donate it to a family member, non profit org or something.

Ryzen 7 5700X build

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 core 16 thread $298.99
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L12S $59.95
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX $189.99
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 $129.99
Storage Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME $97.99
Video Card PowerColor Radeon RX 6600 XT Fighter (8GB) $399.99
Total $1176.90
4 Likes

Next gen isn’t always better. I just got a 5900x (upgrade from 2700x) and it’s a beast.

They’re on sale at least where I am at the moment. Ddr4 is also much cheaper than ddr5….

I would/did build now and then jump on am5 socket with ddr5 after the new platform bugs are worked out around Ryzen 7000 :+1:

I deliberately got this system now before am4 goes away. There will surely be new platform bugs with first gen am5 (just like early am4), it’s just the way it is.

Am4 right now is mature.

Edit: I feel 5900x is the high end sweet spot for am4 right now. Significantly cheaper than 5950 and 50% more, higher clocked cores than 5700/5800x. In terms of impact to total system BOM cost it is negligible.

You also get double the l3 cache.

Wouldn’t a Ryzen9 5900x be better, if I remember correctly the Ryzen7 had some heat issues, where the CPU die was better placed on the Ryzen9, given that OP has an ITX system.
I use a NZXT Kraken M22 in my ITX system it cools my i7 9700k pretty well.
It keeps my CPU at 40-50 degrees Celcius under load while playing Fallout4 , and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly

Edit: saw that you edited your post :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.