Dear Devs,

I have literally no options as far as a modern game whose game play comes close to that of CS 1.6 or Quake 3 and its respective mods. Literally none. That’s the only reason I sit and complain on social media or the occasional IRC channel. If I had a game that still had a decent player base, I’d be happy. I’d shut up about the topic forever. I just want one game. ONE FUCKING GAME IS ALL I ASK PLEASE

Isn’t Quake 3 still alive and online?

It’s as dead as any of the other games from that era.

https://www.quakelive.com/

yes, I still play Quake Live every other day. I’d estimate there’s about 10 people total who still play duel in North America.

Oh damn… I remember people still liking it and playing it… I guess it died out slowly…

Well, you may try CS:GO since it’s free now, but I assume you already know about it…

Hate it with a passion that I could spend hours ranting about.

Honestly I don’t play shooters a lot, but to be fair, I think you and the other 10 people still playing Quake Live are the last people who actually want games like that.
Quake Champions may be your cup of tea, but I doubt it. It’s just a rush to grab Overcrotch fanbase and it’s already too late.

No, like I said, there are literally NO options for me, nor are there options for people like me. Quake Champions was completely pulled out of the “developer”'s asses. Yes, people DO want games like that. If you ever ask anyone, anyone at all who played CS original in its heyday and made the switch to CS:GO, or a similar person except with QL to QC, they will not display any enthusiasm for the new title and nothing but nostalgia for the original titles. No one really wanted to make the switch. It’s not that we didn’t want a new game, we just wanted a new game that lived up to the same standards as the legendary titles we had grown accustomed to. And nostalgia isn’t even quite the right word. There are many objective reasons that make CS 1.6 as well as Quake 3 and its respective mods superior competitive titles over their remakes.

There’s a reason that projects like “Diabotical”, “CS Pro Mod”, and “CS: Classic Offensive” exist. There’s a reason why everyone tries them out as soon as they’re released as alpha builds. I may be one of the few vocal people who actually experiences significant emotional pain over the loss of quality in competitive FPS, but I assure you there is a silent demographic out there who is starving for the same thing I am.

I am in the same camp, reflex and the new unreal tournament(4?), but there are no players, i normally just boot up quake 3 with bots. i never played it in it’s heyday and am not very good at them so is what i will have to be satisfied with

1 Like

I’ll show you the ropes of Quake Live duel if you are interested. The one good thing about all this is you only need one other player to play. It is still very intense. There’s about 4 people in the top tier that still play, and 6 or so mid tier players. A few random newbies here and there. Still sort of a ladder you can climb.

I’ll tell you why its pretty dead: i tried to run it on modern hardware the other day…

that didn’t work very well at all. I’m sure that you could maybe get it to work, but 1999 game vs. 2018 hardware is not something that works out of the box.

edit:
that said. i did get the original unreal tournament working. ran fine from memory and guess what - there were players on servers with it.

Rainbow Six: Siege

Kids these days like the overwatch and fortnite.

One of the biggest differences is the developers have grown. They want to make big money and that lies in saas and micro transactions.

I still like the older games more but now I’m old and have responsibilities so play time is limited.

1 Like

@pantato: What is it about the newer versions of the game that you do not like as compared to the older titles? I haven’t really played a lot of both, so I might not fully understand the complaints folks have for the newer versions.

Keep your eyes on Star Citizen. It will have a significant FPS aspect to it when fully fleshed out. It’s very much a skill based game.

1 Like

In the early days I had CS 1.6 and quake 3 against bots because we didn’t had internet. Played Half life 1 till I knew every faking level. Then there was cod 2,4. Oh yes shouldn’t forget the Jedi Knight series. Well guess what had every game in common. Source and Quake engine…

I am a super perceptive person and I can say with confidence these two engines have the lowest input lag and the most solid code for mouse tracking. None of the new and above suggested can come even close. CSGO is the only exception.
Features like tessellation, ambient occlusion, ss reflections,… all of those just add additional latency to the GPU pipe. All those DX11 features are adding stuff. The more you add the longer it takes. This is exactly why CS:GO wasn’t ported to the new source 2. It would change too much.

In terms of game modes and arena shooters. Yea fortnite and overwatch pretty much ruined the whole gaming industry with their hero BR stuff. Boy I shouldn’t forget lootboxes.

That’s my biggest problem with new games. Don’t get me wrong I love graphics. Crysis was a new dimension for me when it came out but leave that for the story driven games.

So only thing I can recommend is this little gem:

Today it should come out of early access. It has a multiplayer mode called duskworld (beta) uses the Unity engine but has basic graphics and a refined movement system.

1 Like

I have to run to work so I don’t have time right now to type it all out, but I can refer you to this blog post that puts it better than I do: https://www.hltv.org/blog/8045/i-want-to-address-this-stop-crying-because-csgo-is-different-than-16-crap-that-ive-been-seeing-all-over-the-place

I love this game but unfortunately it is not a competitively multiplayer title.