Dead Gigabyte X570 Master

Sooooooooo

I orderd my R9 3950x on the 25th of November and got it Friday the 29th. I had to wait till Monday the 1st for a couple more components to build the system. Once my build was finished Monday afternoon I, I updated the BIOS, setup XMP profile, turned on virtualization and configure my fan curves. Installed Fedora 31 Workstation. After a couple of hours of transferring configuration files, setting up ssh keys etc etc I had to go to bed to get enough sleep for my 8 o clock course the next day. I put the system to sleep and it sort of completely shuts off, all lights went off completely and the system was quiet. Since I was tired I didn’t think much of it.

But on Tuesday when I got back from class, I want to turn on my system. Nothing. I unplug my PSU and wait approx. 10 minutes. Nothing. I transfer my roommates PSU into my system and try to power it on. Nothing. Transfer my PSU into his system. It works. So it definitely isn’t my PSU.
Transfer my PSU back into my system. Connect all the cables and power on the PSU, let it sit for a couple of minutes and then try to turn in on and push the cmos reset button on the I/O panel. Nothing. No lights. No sounds. Nothing.

Shipped my motherboard back to the webshop I ordered it from. Now it’s a waiting game.

Anybody have suggestions to what might have caused this motherboard to die?

TL;DR: I put my system to sleep a couple hours after building it and my motherboard died.

PS: Full system specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 3950x
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.black
G.Skill Trident Z 64gb 3600mhz CL16
Corsair MP600 1TB
Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+
Corsair HX850 V2
Fractal Design Meshify S2

edits: typo’s

Sounds like a slightly delayed DOA. It happens. It shouldn’t of course but it does.

Sleep mode is something I would try to avoid in general though.
Especially on a still relatively new platform on linux.

There’s all kind of little things that can go wrong in manufacturing.

Bad capacitors or soldered connections that fail once exposed to electricity and heat is probably the most likely.

QA helps bring their failure rates down, but failures are statistical and can’t be eliminated entirely without testing every individual board before shipping.

With consumers being so price-sensitive compared to industrial and enterprise buyers, they shift the failure remediation to their customer support teams and return processors rather than the QA department to keep costs down.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.