Dead 6900XT

So…

I’ve got a 6900XT. It has stopped doing anything. No display output, no system boot when it’s in. It’s out of warranty so no help there. It was working OK, no signs of failure, occasionally gamed on it, never mined. System works completely normally and as expected with another GPU in it. Power supply is fine. Putting it in the PC with another GPU doesn’t even show up in the UEFI as in a PCI-E slot.

Is there any hope? Where do I even start trying to debug what is broken on it? Are there any companies that specialize in this type of thing? If the card wasn’t so expensive I’d just call it dead but I’m really hoping to revive this one…

1 Like

Ooof, that is a hard knock. Maybe you have tried some of these already, but here is what I would try.

I would try swapping a few things to rule out other components. Remove it and put a different GPU into the same PCI-E slot and power cables to make sure power and slot are working.

Swap it into another PCI-E slot that is known to work.

These guys do GPU repair: Tech Cemetery - YouTube

Keep in mind you can probably still sell that card for bananas monies if you don’t care about repair.
Or send it to me for free :crazy_face:

It’s very likely it is still under warranty. Call the manufacturer and get a new one.

Blurb from the warranty … (follow the link to see the whole thing)

For a period of two (2) years starting from the date of purchase of the Product by the original purchaser as shown by a valid receipt (the “Warranty Period”), AMD warrants that its Radeon RX 6900 XT graphics cards (“Product”), which have a valid serial number (as verified by AMD in good faith), when properly installed and used, will be free from defects in materials and workmanship and will substantially conform to AMD’s publicly available specifications for the Product (“Specifications”).
https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/radeon-rx-6900xt-warranty-card.pdf

If you can’t warranty the card, try contacting Louis Rossman https://www.rossmanngroup.com/ I’ve seen him work on video cards before in videos. There’s a chance he may be willing to work on it. (his store is in New York in the USA. A lot of the work he does is mailed in.

I would 100% double check the warranty with the manufacturer, It could be something like a power delivery problem. Failing that you could have a professional look at it as mentioned by the guys above. Hopefully it’s not something more serious.

Those are the first things I tried, and the issue is definitely with the card, not the motherboard.

So, because I"m not the original purchaser, it’s not under warranty. I do have the original proof of purchase, but my name isn’t on it. I tried, and AMD already declined.

1 Like

Does it work in another system?

make sure CSM is disabled, secure boot is enabled, above 4g decoding and re-bar if you have those options
some bios settings can get changed with windows updates

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.