I am repurposing some DDR4 ECC UDIMMs in a gaming PC build.
The consumer motherboard I am using is not ECC compatible, but I don’t mind. The UDIMMs physically plug into the board, the bios recognizes them, and windows boots.
Are there any concerns with doing this? I thought for sure this would not be compatible, but it seems to be!
If the sticks are compatible (meaning, if they work at all), then there are no issues with using ECC DDR4 Unbuffered RAM.
The general guidance on these Unbuffered ECC sticks is to, “Check with the Motherboard Manufacturer to determine if ECC Unbuffered RAM is compatible”, while the reality of the situation is, “If it works, it will continue to work”. The only problem you would ever have is attempting to introduce any Registered or Buffered RAM stick which most certainly will not work (at all) on a motherboard designed to work with Unbuffered RAM.
Thus… yes, your motherboard will operate normally as clearly the RAM is recognized in BIOS as what it is (without ECC functionality) and will boot as regular old unbuffered, non-ECC RAM, (wherein the ECC functionality is simply disabled), there will be no problems at all, nor will there be any performance impacts whatsoever. It won’t be faster, or slower, it will just operate as normal non-ECC, unbuffered RAM (simply because the ECC functionality is disabled).