Data Center Fire Supression System

Hello Everyone,

I am getting ready to build a “data center,” actually it is going to be a crypto currency mine in a wearhouse. I am going to start by framing out a room approximately 10’ x 13’ and installing electrical HVAC and I will need a fire suppression system. Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of system I need, obviously water is wrong, and an idea of cost. I know cost is different everywhere but I’m trying to get my budget estimated.

Thanks

Have some reading material:
https://www.minimax.com/en/DE/solutions/infrastructure/data-center/
https://www.minimax.com/en/DE/downloads/22/en/

Thanks, that is some great info. Inert Gas Fire Supression seams to be what I’m looking for. Dose any one have any experience with these or know the pros and cons of Argon, Nitrogen, etc?

We have Argon. It’s extremely expensive.

Sevo systems has a nice modular system.

Random question; why is CO2 (carbon dioxide) not used more commonly in a server room to put out fires? Its quite an inexpensive gas, and can be stored quite easily.

Will it damage HDD’s? Something else?

Co2 suffocates people as well as fires.

Clean agent systems are safe to breath if you ate in the room when the agent discharges.

2 Likes

It doesn’t take much CO2 to knock you out upon breathing it, whereas nitrogen and argon you can breath it in without getting hurt or passing out, so you can escape the room.

Never thought of that. I was just picture a server room with no one inside, with 0 maintenance ever needed, which I know is not possible lol

Alright, so what are the downsides to Nitrogen? You can compress this gas as well (not as much as CO2), and is very common in the air, making it cheap and easy to get. I can understand that Argon is much more expensive, because of it being a lot less common.

What kind of maintenance is required? How often do the tanks need to be refilled / topped off, or is it a one time expense so long as the system does not go off?

The NFPA takes care of all life safety and fire protection standards including design, installation and maintenance.

You need the NFPA 2001 standard. That’s the code not the year BTW.

There are formulas to calculate the amount of fluid for the required retention time. When building your room you need to consider fluid dynamics and compensate for the volume of gas/fluid discharged into the space. It can’t be air tight but needs to hold the gas like a glass of water.

There are companies that will set you up right and beware if a fire Marshall sees the system it must be installed according to NFPA.

I dont have those answers and im not sure who would. Ill try to find out.

Thank you for that information. The fire marshal inspects twice a year and I’m pulling all permits and doing it rite. I will be sure to bring this up when I am taking bids.

Thank you.