DAS Drive will not stop spinning

So I bought a drive from serverpartdeals and a Terramaster D4-320 DAS. I installed my 2 HDDs on the DAS and #1 works fine, the drive activity stops if I’m not using it. For the #2 drive (the serverpartdeals one), the activity light never stops and I can hear the drive spinning.

Is there a way to force it to have the same behavior as my #1 drive? I don’t want it to be spinning forever while it’s doing nothing.

Note: I’m on Linux Mint so hopefully has some commands to help :weary_face:

I don’t know if it can apply in this scenario but in the past i had that behaviour with a disk with bad sectors, it was really busy doing its thing trying to fix them, and since it is a serverpartdeals maybe it is worth checking the SMART data of the disk.

what HDD model?

You might need to set the APM level. hdparm -B or smartctl -g apm

For WD drives, you may need to tweak idle3 using hdparm -J

Then there is hdparm -S which will allow you to put the drive into idle / standby modes.

1 Like

Damn, my bad. Thought I had replied to this :upside_down_face:

The model is Seagate Exos ST26000NM000C 26TB

I tried messing with hdparm and the APM (what Claude suggested (new to Linux and even in Windows never got this in the weeds of the terminal)) but it didn’t fix it. Now I just unmount my drive whenever I’m not using it so it stops spinning forever :sweat_smile: :joy: