Dark Wave: give me misery and synths!

I’m very much interested in exploring Dark Wave (or Darkwave) music, and a specific niche of that genre as well. So I’m looking for suggestions!

Darker music has always appealed to me and I’ve always had a soft spot for '80s synth-pop, and I recently discovered and been digging into the genre of dark wave, which seems like a perfect way for those to coincide.

Some of my favorites so far include Lebanon Hanover, She Past Away, Boy Harsher, and Kælan Mikla:
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsFOaG_CSLVD1Nh-WL3pwdGA24JA2M_rF

I was wondering what else is there in this genre - I seem to be having difficulty finding some music, at least those that lean heavier on the synth/ambiance. I found a lot with more post-punk inspriation, but that doesn’t quite scratch the same itch despite the overlap.

Anyway, bonus points for mid to to up tempo dark wave tracks that I can add to my “working out in existential dread” playlist. :sunglasses:

1 Like

You might take a look at The Crüxshadows. Stand out tracks would be Winterborn, Sophia, Deception and Monsters. Others in the Dark Wave category within my personal collection are Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Sam Rosenthal, Dead Can Dance, She Wants Revenge and Velvet Acid Christ.

You might drift into looking at Symphonic Metal too like Within Temptation, Epica, Dark Moor, Therion, Symphony X, Adagio, Avantasia, Sirenia, Nightwish and Trans-Siberian Orchestra. You might also peek in with VNV Nation which is more EDM but their live track Fearless is outstanding as well as Beloved.

Those fit my tastes for the darker, symphonic sorts of music you were describing. Hopefully you will find some things you enjoy from them.

I like The Systers of Mercy, Siouxsie and The Banshees, Bauhaus, Clan of Xymox, Kino and so on. Most 80s bands didn’t labeled themselves as dark whatever.

But I’m going to leave this here.

1 Like

Fair bit of variation, scan through the albums till you find what you like.

I’ll throw this in too. This is technically synthwave, but still sufficiently dark. And on top of that, I would argue this artist is the pinnacle of synthwave.

Honorable mention:

1 Like

I would recommend checking out TR/ST, Diorama, Ash code, Drab majesty, soft kill, The soft moon, Undertheskin, actors, Linea Aspera, and cold cave.
If your looking for some mixes that are likely to contain new songs/artists you might like, I’d recommend, CommunionAfterDark, BloodlitRadio, and DarkItalia. If you’re feeling more adventurous Iliktronik (DJ Cherry) has some more interesting and regionally diverse sets for new flavor. I’d start with this mix: https://www.mixcloud.com/darkitalia/retrowave-darkwave-electro-dj-maus-live-august-18-2020-part-1/