Dark Anime

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

just started, murder thriller detective mystery. dark as all hell.

One time I started watching Psycho Pass which is a great dark anime and psychological thriller and when the second episode came on the screen was black. The brightness was turned down on my projector.

GET IT, IT WAS DARK HAHA IMMA GO DIE NOW :(

1 Like

I found Full Metal Alchemist to be very dark

2 Likes

I don't think anyone mentioned Ninja Scroll or Akira.

GunGrave and Gyakkyou Burai Kaji: Ultimate Survival. -> Not exacly a horror but they are realistic example of how people end up when lot of money/power is involved.

Also everybody seems to hate School Days. I should check it out. :D

1 Like

Epic Necro @anarekist

1 Like

dark anime never goes out..

I would recommend Darker then Black, Gungrave, Death Note, East of Eden and as maybe something you may not have seen. Ghost in the shell, not really dark though very philosophical and political.. GITS is one of my all time favorites along with the original Last Exile series. The last two aren't dark, just some of the best anime I have seen minus big giant 'Mechs.

2 Likes

Berserk is back! Even though at the moment it would seem that the reboot is lacking in many ways I still love it to bits because....BERSERK!

HOTD isn't dark. It's 98% tits and panty shots with zombies for lolz.

1 Like

Gonna add 11eyes to this list. It was short and pretty fucked up. Most of the shit suggested near the top isn't all that bad. Ergo Proxy is a good example. It's good and it's on my short list for Anime suggestions but it's not that dark.

@MAD_FROGZ I missed your comment. Glad I'm not the only one who has seen 11eyes.

1 Like

Berserk, new season is out too!

1 Like

+1 for Ergo proxy and Texhnolyze. Nobody mentioned Narutaru: Mukuro Naru Hoshi Tama Taru Ko?

Don't let the first episode fool you. Or do, anyhow it has a very strong undercurrent of wrongness. At least it had to me. Both the manga and the anime left my skin crawling with the wrongness of it all. Urgh.

1 Like

Okay people, I love Ergo Proxy don't get me wrong, but it's not dark. Not on the level that OP wants anyway. In Elfen Lied the main character rips over 50 people apart, literally, in the opening scene. Ergo Proxy is at best a cerebral trip in a dystopian future.

Higurashi looks like one of the most disturbing things I have seen. I have not watched it because just seeing the clips from it makes me physically sick.

Afro samurai
Was pretty kickass

1 Like

I've been watching Re:Zero - Starting Life in Another World on Crunchyroll. Still an on-going series, its not totally dark, lots of humor and friendship type of stuff, but when dark things happen, its pretty epic.

1 Like

Black Lagoon's whole criminal underworld theme makes for some dark bits. Also check out Hellsing/Hellsing Ultimate. It's not a series but check out the film Perfect Blue.

If you want to watch something that will leave you crying and feel bad as a person. Grave of the Fireflies

Mobile suit victory gundam

An opinion I have, and no one seems to share:

Gore != Dark

Gore is meh, who cares if a cartoon character is spewing blood everywhere. Sometimes the levels of gore animes like beserk go to are just funny.

Whereas psychological horror, actual reasons to be scared and disturbed, now thats dark and interesting!.

So going back to OPs question:

Serial Experiments Lain
Paranoia Agent
Higurashi: No Naku Koro Ni
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne
Denpa Teki na Kanojo