Dark Anime

No, that was a very good rant. I suppose i'll read the manga and watch the film. However, I was dissapointed, due to expecting it to be depicted much more horrifically than it was in the series and being incredibly desensitized to that kind of thing. 

If Berserk's anime wasn't dark enough for you, then I'd say the only thing darker is reading the manga. There you'll find child rape, Judas chairs, illustrated torture, and orgies(often time orgies also involve sexual murders as well), I stopped reading around volume 28 and it never really gives up on being horribly dystopic. Where the anime would hint at horrible things, it's often drawn and shown in the manga.

Someone also suggested Madoka. If you like darkness meant to pull on your heartstrings it's not a bad suggestion. It's basically the story of how a little girl and all her friends get tricked and murdered. Unlike Berserk though, there's a happy ending.

I hope you at least enjoyed Berserk. If you haven't yet I also suggest watching some of the bloopers from the show. They're kind of funny, especially when Griffith sings.

I definitely enjoyed it but it just wasn't dark enough.

I suppose you could watch the movies then. They're far more violent. But it covers pretty much the same story arc as the original TV series, so if you didn't find that particular part of the story dark enough, then I guess it doesn't make a difference. But yes, read the manga. You will enjoy it.

Also, if you prefer a good English dub over Japanese subs, the dub of the movies isn't quite as good as the TV series (the random supporting characters are a bit better though). They got the original voice actors for the important characters, but it's been over a decade since they've voiced their roles, so they were rather stiff in the first film. I haven't seen the second film dubbed so they may have settled in to their roles more. The third film is still being dubbed. Regardless, I don't think ANYONE portrays Guts better than Marc Diraison, even when he hasn't been in the role for so damn long. He is simply the quintessential Guts. I kind of regret not waiting for the 2nd and 3rd film to get dubbed before watching them, but I'll be rewatching them dubbed soon. I just hope that they can continue funding more films, since they plan on trying to adapt the whole manga in to films. And I hope that they keep the original cast throughout...or at least Marc Diraison. I could deal with Casca's voice actress changing since all she's going to be uttering after the Eclipse is infantile gibberish.

Ok you want some dark try this Koroshiya 1 The Animation this is only one episode but that is all it needs to be..for real, well maybe not..Now I will give you a list Shigurui, maybe Speed Grapher, maybe Monster,Sweat Punch(just love saying this one,Sweat Punch is a series of five Studio 4°C shorts collected as a direct-to-DVD package film entitled Deep Imagination),Himitsu: Top Secret - The Revelation,maybe Mnemosyne,maybe Noir it is a (little slow but give it some time and you may like it),Tokko,The Skull Man,Akagi, Ghost Hound,Shingetsutan Tsukihime,maybe rainbow nisha rokubou no shichinin,Psycho Diver Masei Rakuryu, this one is a not sure but I like it Pumpkin Scissors, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom and other corresponding titles you may like..These have all been listed in my other posts, as stated below..

Some of these are more gore some are psychological..I would need more defention to your version of dark or what you like..Then I could make you a more comprehensive list..

As usual my List HERE..

Oh no one has mentioned KAIBA, the darkest show I have seen (not so violent but deals with a very very dark dystopia), it also has a very good soundtrack. Definitely worth watching, it is only 12 episodes long and starts of slow and has a uniqe animation style.

I'd just like to mention, Studio 4°C is the studio that worked on the new Berserk films. They're pretty damn good.

Higurashi No Naku Koro ni - It's also a mystery anime. It's probably my favorite of the genre but it's really very dark and has gory and gruesome parts. The first season makes you think, accuse culprits, and switch between sides. The second season was a disappointment though.

Another - about some curse or something. The situation is corny but I enjoyed it, nonetheless.

Never watch School Days. You will hate yourself for doing so.

School Days, the only episode worth watching is the last, even then a waste of time.

Also Phantom if I remember correctly Black Bible is not anime, it's something else......

Although not nearly as dark as the others, you might enjoy the Monogatari Series

I strongly suggestyou watch them in production order, not in the chronological order within the series.

sorry for Necromancy

Hmmmmm... So you want an anime that is as dark or even darker than Elfen Lied? Well I have some suggestions which are kinda of action orientated but brilliant nonetheless.

Fate/Zero (which is a prequel to fate/stay night but infinitely better) 

Kara no Kyoukai (I can't recommend this enough, its one of the best anime I have ever watched and its a series of eight films. Definitely watch this on blue ray as Ufotable did an AMAZING job),

Rin Daughters of Mnemosyne (pretty dark),

Serial Experiments Lain (its an old one and its not one of those animes where you can just "switch off" but its a great watch)

Gantz

I suppose, Psycho Pass? (a dark, psychological, action sci-fi anime set in a dystopian future)

As others have suggested, Hellsing Ultimate, Monster, Evangelion, Ergo Proxy & Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

Please don't watch School Days..... It'll make you "loose your head". 

1 Like

i have to agree with Special-K. I think that if you didnt watch fate zero yet you should just go and watch it immediately omg it was so good. btw special-K i heard ufotable is gonna make a remake of fate stay night

I definitely agree Etter40. Fate/Zero was absolutely brilliant, It was light years ahead of fate/stay night in terms of pacing, narrative, dialogue and animation (e.g. "people die if they are killed"). Yeah I also caught wind that Ufotable was remaking Fate/Stay Night, from the pictures circulating the net it seems pretty damn good. I'm getting that dark vibe that was reminiscent from Fate/Zero, I can't wait!

Have you seen Kara no Kyoukai? It's a Type Moon adaptation from Ufotable just like Fate/Zero. I definitely recommended it hands down. If you thought Fate/Zero was good... this will blow your mind. (It's a hell of a lot darker too)

1 Like

Darker than Black (not that brutal but still great)

1 Like

Agreed, although the second season was a let down in my opinion. 

I second Higurashi no Naku Koro ni... *mouths out* I'm sorry...

Watch berserk the golden age arc 1/2/3 they are way better than the anime and some other anime i highly recommend is (dark) Monster and Hellsing Ultimate.

Marai Nikki??

Only ones i know 11eyes/Evangelion when that guy posted on Berserk now i know why it is in the 18+ section at the comic/manga store scary shit!!!

1 Like

Why has no one mentioned Claymore? Is that not a dark anime?

1 Like

I didn't see anyone mention Urotsukidōji : Legend of the Overfiend, that was one of the first anime I ever watched and it was pretty dark.  Actually, it was kinda fucked up on a number of levels.

They happen to have it on Youtube, but it's in 420p.  I'm surprised it hasn't been taken down due to its content, however it should give you an idea of whether or not it's your thing so you can source yourself a better copy.

If you like it there is also Legend of the Demon Womb which probably wasn't as good imo from what I can remember, but still worth a watch.  There were others that came after, but I don't remember liking them as much.