Daisy chaining power-strips/surge protectors?

I decided to move my gaming PC out of my bedroom and into the basement, it is unfinished so there is only one power outlet far away from the place where my PC would go. Would it be okay to plug one surge protector into the wall, then through extension cord, then another surge protector for my PC? This has worked fine before, just not sure if it would be safe for normal use. I could also just use a normal power strip and 1 surge protector if this is not safe for my PC and gaming monitor together.

You'd be better off getting a 12 gauge extension cord. It's a fire hazard to daisy chain power strips. With at least a 12 gauge extension cord your voltage drop would be less and you wouldn't run the risk of the cord heating up.

2 Likes

The less plugs you have, the better.
If possible, maybe have a single powerstrip and continue from there with something like this (with a plug suitable for your region, of course).

I'd use a single surge protector at the outlet and connect a power strip in to that, or have multiple surge protectors but on multiple outlets.

3 Likes

Good surge protectors have at least one light on it that indicates “Protection Active”.
If the light is out it’s no longer a Surge Protector, it’s a power strip. Only about $15

Because I don’t trust power strips, I daisy chain the Outlet > Uninterruptible battery backup Power Supply ($50 & up) > a single surge protector / power-strip into a non battery outlet. It probably isn’t recommended, but I figure 1 power strip for lightweight items like the router, modem and a light bulb is probably okay when the UPS is surge protecting it all.

Currently I have one UPS for my PC and a 2nd one for everything else.
The 2nd one is plugged into another outlet with a 12 gauge cord. No power strips required.

3938835_sd
$100.
The 5 outlets on left are battery and 5 on the right are protection only.

Holy fucking Necro guys. Staaaaahp

2 Likes