Cutting down on categories

This is my opinion on what would work for a category restructure, from bottom to top:

• Science, Engineering, and Tech – Either merge with Community Category as STEM subcat, or scrap and replace with STEM tags.
  • Vehicles & Mobility – Merge with Community as a subcat or scrap for tags. The car lounge gets plenty of traffic, but that’s about it.
  • Audio Hardware & Software – Scrap for tags.
  • Arts & Media – Merge with Community and utilize tags.
  • Gaming – Leave as-is
  • Mobile Tech – Two alternatives
    • Make Mobile Hardware subcat in Hardware and add Mobile OS tag for Software & OS category
    • Leave as-is because although not a fast category, it is regular.
  • Development – Either merge with Software & OS as a subcat or leave as regular category, but scrap all current subcats. The current Code subcat is really the only regularly busy one.
  • Software & OS – Reorganize subcats. Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD, VFIO (for now). Make sure there is a FOSS tag. Rename as just Software?
  • Legacy & Vintage – Merge into Hardware and Software categories. Subcats could work, but Legacy and/or Vintage tags would probably work just as well.
  • Networking – Seems popular enough to leave alone?
  • Hardware – Oh boy
    • Reorganize subcats. Build a PC, Motherboards, CPU, GPU, Storage, Power, Cases, Enterprise, Other. Remaining categories into tags.
    • Go ballsy and really restructure. Build a PC, Desktop/Workstation, Mobile, Enterprise. Nothing else. Tags for days.
  • Community Blog – Either merge in Community category as Blog subcat, or scrap for tags.
  • Community – Scrap Finance & Business, Education & Jobs, and Events in lieu of tags. DIY could probably be a tag as well. Leave OT, Tech Policy & News, and BST.
  • Wikis & How-To – Preferably the Wiki portion would move to the main L1T site, because honestly Discourse is terrible for Wiki style content. If not a Wiki tag would work. How-to could be a tag.
  • Level1Techs – Leave as-is? Maybe add a Video subcat for the Wendellbot posts.

If the right column bothers you, create a cosmetic rule to block it in uBlock Origin:

forum.level1techs.com##div.column:nth-of-type(2)

I don’t use categories so I didn’t bother, but I do block that top baby blue navbar here. It just takes up space.

forum.level1techs.com###top-navbar

1 Like