Cutting down on categories

while i agree the cat system is in need of work going minimal will make it worse imo

With the changes I am advertising here, it would cut the top level categories in half!

Another two things that could be done to reduce clutter is to remove the about text of the top level cats as well as the latest posts from the categories view. If we could get that done, it would clean it up a lot.

EDIT: I’ve actually for the first time read that about text and it’s basically the same on most of them.

Place to discuss fish and News related to fish. Select the most relevant subcategory for when you want to make a thread. If it is news use a related sub category and tag it news.

That would definitely help a lot. But like Walter White famously put it “no half measures”.

Walter White is dead.

Also a fictional character but like, it’s a good saying.

wtf spoiler

1 Like

None of this will make a difference to me. I check “new” and “unread”. The few times I post a new thread I have to search for a category anyway, I don’t know them by heart.

Absolutely not.

1 Like

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/changelog-v19-10-04/148221/14

Since I can’t answer right there @MisteryAngel,

Here is my idea about it:

Oh @Eden, seems you have been fixing the category descriptions already. Thank you.
Is it easily possible to hide the latest posts on the categories view?
Could we try that, see how it looks?

Looks like we can sort topics within categories. I think that latest will still be latest topics and the change will just happen to cat view. But I don’t know.

Where is that in https://forum.level1techs.com/categories?

It’s a moderator setting.

Oh, ok.

But there is no way to get rid of that? It takes up half the space. That seems a bit … stupid.
I mean, categories is the only view that has to share it’s own page with something else.
Latest is just latest, unread is just that and so on.

I think this doesn’t hide the latest posts in the category view which is what I thought the question was?

1 Like

Latest is shown first because it’s set to activity. At least, that’s how I interpret it

Yeah. Thats how it works. I set it to posts in another cat and it changed the view list to the threads with most posts at the top

I mean this view:

That whole right half with latest posts, that is what I would like to see gone.

3 Likes

Ohhhh. My bad. I misinterpreted what you said. I read it as, that you wanted the thread ordering to be different.:man_facepalming:

Looks better without the recent on the right.

1 Like

And less cluttered for sure. That would be exactly what I had in mind. :slight_smile:

1 Like