Custom FreeNAS Email Notification?

I use Syncthing on various devices to sync a few folders (namely Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos; the usual) to my FreeNAS box. That means all my stuff is pretty much seamlessly available on all my devices. But the problem with SyncThing is that it's really not geared towards servers, and it doesn't have any kind of notification/email alert system. Occasionally I change a setting and it does something stupid, or SyncThing just does something stupid on its own. Obviously when this happens, my stuff stops syncing, but often it goes unnoticed which is really not what I want to happen.

Is there any way to have FreeNAS send me an email if SyncThing isn't working right? I have one idea:

I make changes to my documents folder at least once a week. I can leave with a week of data loss since I'm just a home user, so can I have a cron job that checksums a folder and if the checksum has changed since the last time, it assumes SyncThing is working and doesn't email me? Where if the checksum is the same for 1 week it assumes Syncthing is crashed and sends me an email. Or something like that.

TLDR: Syncthing is great, but a little wonky sometimes especially on FreeNAS. How can I get email notifications from my FreeNAS box whenever Syncthing misbehaves?

The only way I can think of is continuing to check the deamon status or jail of syncthing, other than that I don't think your able to debug or edit the software for try or if checks.