Currently Torn Between 2 Different Headphones... Can Anyone Help Me Decide?

This should definitely be an interesting topic of discussion here. I plan on upgrading to a better set of headphones to replace my aging Bose Soundlink Around-Ear Wireless 2s. (I’ve had these for 3 years & they’ve held up fairly well. Only complaints: Sound quality is great but I wouldn’t say excellent & the earpads have been slowly falling apart.)

As the title obviously states it, I’m torn between 2 different headphones. (Both of which I haven’t tried before.) The Sony WH-1000XM4s & the Soundcore Life Q30s which are supposed to ship in November. I have done a little bit of research comparing dome drivers against other driver types & I can clearly see there some differences. But back to the topic here, I’m really trying to decide which would be better overall? The main use cases I have for either of these headphones is basically music & videos. I’ll include links to both products so you can better help me out!

Sony WH-1000XM4: Sony WH1000XM4/B Premium Noise Cancelling Wireless Over-The-Ear Headphones, Black

Soundcore Life Q30: https://www.soundcore.com/products/variant/a30a0/A30A0111

I do hope that any of you who have had proper experience can help me out with deciding. If any of you need more details or have questions for me, ask away & I’ll get back to you! Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t comment on either of the two directly. I can pose you three questions though:

Main question is what use case you have for these. For example 90% gaming at home or 50/50 commute and home use.

The second question is how you feed them. Bluetooth only or 3.5mm jack from your notebook, etc.

Last question is budget.

3 Likes

Well, I did state my use cases in the post, but I forgot to mention that they will be used at home. As for how I will use them, mainly it will via Bleutooth unless I feel like using the 3.5mm jack. Lol And considering the price of the Sony WH-1000XM4s are $350, I don’t think I’ll go any farther than that.

1 Like

I would probably go Sony, but honestly maybe get both and return the ones you dont like? Sound and comfort are somewhat subjective so if you have the budget then maybe try that route? IDK what your return policy is like at the places you are looking to purchase from or if you can go somewhere to try them.

1 Like

Mainly, my approach will simply be keep the 1 that’s best. Unfortunately, I don’t have all the money in the world to buy both though. :confused:

Realy out of my depth with any bluetooth/ANC headphone.

Beyerdynamic Lagoon ANC Explorer may be another option. From reviews, it appears to have a tighter clamp than the Bose QC-series and a Beyerdynamic-typical V-signature (= slightly elevated bass and treble).

AKG K-371-BT could be another option. Have not heared the K-371 via the BT-module, but the instore demo with the K-371 was pleasent. Lacks ANC though.

Something completly different would be the Hifiman Deva. Is open back, so your surroundings are audible. It is a planar magnetic as opposed to the dynamic drivers all the other headphones I and you mentioned (except the in-ears maybe?).

My Background

I am into audio stuff. As such I have a small collection of headphones and source gear (nothing fancy).

Headphones:

• AudioTechnica ATH-AD500x (first real readphone, not gaming crap)
  • AudioTechnica M40X (needed a closed back for monitoring tasks)
  • AKG K-712 Pro (hidden under desk)
  • Fostex T50RP MKiii (wanted to know what the interest was about)
  • Koss Porta Pro (needed a portable one, and I hate in ears)
  • Panasonic RP-HD10 (just curiousity)

Amps:

• Art HeadAmp4 (el-cheapo, but I was very limited on budget)
  • Emotiva BasX A-100 (big chungus that does duty as speaker amp and high power headphone amp)
  • LakePeople G103-S (studio headphone amp)
1 Like

This is very true. So that makes it hard. I did a lot of research before my last purchase and considered the options you had mentioned. I eventually landed on the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Gaming Headset - Lossless High Fidelity Wireless Plus Bluetooth for PS4 and PC - Black. I did this for a few reasons.
1.) Really nice sound quality with 7. Surround sound over USB.
2.) Bluetooth works well at night watching TV trying to sleep while wife’s asleep.
3.) The comfort. I wasn’t sure how they would feel but I know I hate plastic or fake leather cups. These are a amazing fabric and sit nice and suspended with the ski style strap.
4.) Battery life. These things really can go a full 12 hours to almost 20 depending. Then there’s always a second battery waiting in the changer.
5.) Cord options, 3.5, micro USB etc etc.
I agonized a while after my Logitech artimus’s died. I ended up with these. Food for thought and areas I considered.

@MazeFrame @HaaStyleCat, I appreciate you guy’s suggestions, but please do bear in mind that I’m considering the 2 headphones I mentioned. Also, I already have a headset for gaming- the Hyper X Cloud Revolver S.

1 Like

If I was looking for a home-use blutooth headphone, I would go with the AKG’s I linked or the Sony’s.

I can’t stand IEMs though, so I am biased that way.

In Ear Monitor, those thingies you stick in your ears.

Ignore this as I didn’t notice the Q30 being over ears (allthough the earpads look small)

“IEMs”? What did you mean when you said that?

BTW. I know I might be a little late in the day for asking this, but I figure it’s worth a shot. Does anyone know if any Youtubers have received any early samples/pre-production units of the Soundcore Life Q30s? Let me know if you’ve heard of anything!

1 Like

between the two Sony, but tbh they aren’t good, very hard to recommend anything wireless as pretty much all of them sound pretty bad compared to much cheaper wired options.
If you want bass(more of V shape) then Beyerdynamic Lagoon might be good for you, if you want something flatter then the K371 might be a good option, but personally I’d go with any of the many wired options that will have better audio experience for home usage if you want to walk around the house and listen to music just buy a FiiO DAC and a decent pair of wired headphones.

Well in regards to audio equipment, it’s very hard to recommend anything for somebody else.
Because it’s really a personal thing.

I have a Sennheiser which are pretty good in my opinion.
But yeah what is good for my personal standards, might not be good enough for you.

The only useful advice i could give, is go to a shop and listen them yourself.

I can’t stress this enough, but they are not worth 350eur, sound quality on them is worse than koss ksc75, the only good thing about them is the wireless functionality.

So you have 7 ears? Please don’t say to any audiophile that you use virtual 7.1 for your headphones, you will be laughed at for a week.

Points noted. I’m a peasant. lol :slightly_smiling_face:

Most Bluetooth headphones are not tuned or meant for the audiophile crowd. They are convenience items (except maybe the Hifiman Deva, which I am told is a more relaxed Sundara).

I would not call any headphone trying to hit the Harman target “flat”.

Virtual surround correctly processed and sent to stereo speakers/headphones is amazing.
While such a setup does not compete with a decent HT-setup, it gets you 80% of the way.

I don’t think people who buy cable lifters have any right to make fun of others.

2 Likes

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to imply that they are flat, they are V shape, just not as much as Beyers.

Again correctly processed audio with good speakers will get you much further, let’s just say that Virtual surround is a poor mans desire for good audio.

Eh, it’s about as useful as virtual 7.1 :smiley:
P.S. Never had the need for a cable lifter :wink:

Well, looks like my 2-way tossup has just turned into a 3-way tossup. :man_facepalming:t2: I did check out the Beyerdynamic Lagoon ANCs & they look very appealing even if I haven’t had any experience with them or the brand. But I’m wondering how these compare against the Sony WH-1000XM4s…? (Overall build-quality, sound quality, how feature-rich both are, etc.) I do still have my eyes on the Soundcore Life Q30s in case they’re good. Man, why are there times I find it hard to make up my mind? :roll_eyes:

Beyerdynamic has been arround for a while (founded in 1924, apparently)
Their headphones (especially the DT-series) can be found in most studios.

If the Lagoon ANC is built anything like the DT-series, then it is a 50/50 mix of metal and plastic.

Can’t comment on that as I have never had Sony Headphones in hand (or on my head).

Interesting. Do you consider them to be better than Sony or not? :thinking: