Curing Consolitis: Upgrading Old PCs | Level One Techs

Does the case for the small form factor pc have to remain open all the time?

I also noticed @wendell couldn't make up his mind if the first machine had a 2400 or a 2500 LOL oh well it happens

To be fair to him, the SFF OptiPlex 990 could be configured with either.

Some of those machines even have i7-2600s but you'd be extremely lucky to get one of those for $25.

I look forward to their next video on finding these things, was gonna go the eBay route but this looks too good to pass up. I could use a test bench for testing GPUs for flipping purposes. Seeing as my desktop is water-cooled isn't really easy to just throw something in there. Last card I sold I couldn't test which made me nervous.

Anyways, I'm not afraid of hacking up a PSU to get it to work if it's proprietary, so if I do I'll be sure to make a little tutorial on how not to burn your house down when wiring up a psu

1 Like

Yea the newer dells use an 8 pin primary connector. The adapters to use an atx power supply are generally pretty cheap. You can find them for most vendors pcs. If you don't need the extra power you can buy the oem powersupplies pretty cheap off ebay as they said(which will fit in the case correctly). I've also on the second gen i series slim dells run the with a power supply sitting on top of the tower going through where the internal power supply was while waiting for the correct one to come in.

Here is one with amazon prime. I'm sure you can find cheaper.

I concur; I don't comment a lot but I thought the content of this video was quite impressive.
I think I may use this for platform for a cheap option for an HTPC to run kodi and to stream steam from my main rig.
If I have time I'd also like to do a small form factor PF sense box.

Keep up the amazing content!

*Sorry to have disrupted the flow of great info.

Cmon guys gotta go full ghetto.

7 Likes

Nice! You folks should also do a video on laptops :)
Those old thinkpads need some lovin :)

Great work! Cringe level over 9000 hope you guys can bush out more content like the pfsense video as well as the sandstorm, that content was freaking good high tier content. As of now I can apriciate where you guys are at, but shall this channel become big I think there must be uploaded more content. As I said I can understand where you guys are comming from, I am not trying to come in here guns blazing and start telling you how to run ur channel. But for me personally it has been a litle dry as of late. And hope to se more greate contnet cus u guys are the best! Keep it up! and pump out some good content :D

This got me thinking about some old parts I had lying around and what I would need to make it into a decent replacement for my brothers xbone :D (almost terminal consolitus... as he has never had a pc before, I am hoping this will be a miracle cure for him)

parts I have are

cpu can easily be set to a 24/7 4.6ghz stable (as it used to run at that previously)

just need

• case
  • psu
  • cooler
  • wireless network card
  • blu ray drive (sadly... he is a blu ray addict)
  • maybe a wd red / green for game library capacity
  • 2 sticks of 1600 or 1866 ram

and that should be it.. seems criminal not to put these parts to good use to cure my brothers consolitus and the 7970 is still quite potent at 1080p even as old as it is.

Edit-

Question.. plenty of cheap psu's knocking around on ebay BUT... it's not normally something I would ever buy 2nd hand, what are other people's thoughts?

to far. they dont need to pull a ltt.

"Ahh. This dont fit. Where the hell is my grinder at?"

Wendell did that to a lian li case to get a psu in there iirc

1 Like

@kreestuh was on camera. time to get started on the first meme of her

Video was perfect. Just a bit of background music and we are golden.

Damn would have loved to know where you can buy those work stations from. Now you tell me the price and I am do jealous. Bought a i 5 2400 for 90.00 got ripped off compared to you.

SOMEhow i managed to swap a 650TI for this 1070... looks a bit out of place!
the 4770 is still chugging along nicely

4 Likes

I love how the lab coats invoked The Slow Mo Guys.

If you keep wearing the coats, will they gradually become dirty and tattered?

I'm actually interested in the next video of this series, I'm curious about picking up some cheap enterprise machines.

"Never go full ghetto."
Robert Downey Jr

i work for a library and like most library's we have literal tons of computers. and every 1-2 years we have a sale of various older technology that we replaced. screens, computers, parts, cables, projectors, servers, ect.... pretty soon we'll be offloading around 100~ computers running around 4-8g of ram a intel dual or quad core, a small mechanical drive or ssd, ect.... and some of them may make decent gaming rigs. quite a few business's and organizations need large numbers of computers and upgrade en mass on occasion. a local internet cafe recently closed and is offloading 30~ amd 2gb gpu's for 50$ each. when this sort of thing happens the organization will advertise in some way, and the employees will often know the details sometimes months or years in advance. look and ask around and check your papers and craigslist and go places and ask. schools/colleges in particular but anywhere that has a whole lot of people using computers at once.

@wendell thanks for getting kreestuh on camera. her first meme

8 Likes