Curig...SUCKS

What happened to boiling some water and using a tea bag? I smell pretentious. 

I bet you a million bucks I could brew you tea in an old pot, using an old kettle, and make 5 different varieties and in a blind taste test you would NEVER tell the difference. The same goes with expensive headphones, mostly all in your head! :-)

Actually, no. There is a definitive difference in taste. I do share the sentiment concerning such things as overly-expensive headphones. However, from a brand that you are willing to trust, you do get what you pay for. In my case, I have actually tried to make tea in a wide variety of manners. I've used teapots with infusers, and I've used teapots with a strainer; I've used a clean french press; I've used a Keurig with their tea and with my own and then I used a Philips Senseo. Out of all of those, the Senseo produces a far less bitter or astringent cup of tea that still maintains a sufficiently rich flavor, fantastic aroma and light, clear liquor (dark for ripe pu'erh). I would actually love to play it off as just being pretentious, because that's just how I am, but if the flavor is better... Most people would care to disagree with me, they may do so, but they'll have to go purchase a Senseo Pod brewer to prove me wrong. If you would like a Senseo Pod brewer, Amazon sells a model by Hamilton Beach that sells for about $30. It's about as expensive as nice teapot, and it's faster to use.

Well being in a smiliar situation like you(regarding drinking like 8 cups a day), and having the luck of living in Vienna, a city with rich coffee culture, I took up making coffee also as a hobby. Do not expect a clear answer since it all depends on which kind of coffee you like most.The fact that it is supposed to be cheap makes the IMO best way of making coffee, using an espresso machine impossible.

If you like drinking a large amount (in volume) instead of straight espresso I certainly recommend a drip pot machine, if not I would recommend a moka pot.

You can actually make drip coffee without a machine, all you need is something to hold the filter in place, and some of these things can be found for a few dollars since its essentially a piece of plastic. What I would most certainly recommend you investing in is a coffee grinder. It makes a HUGE difference in taste and can be had for anything ranging from 10 to 500 dollars. If youre on a tight budget get a blade grinder, if youre willing to make a long term investment get a burr grinder.

In case youve already bought something (I know I'm posting late) this could maybe be helpful for other people in your situation. Cheers.

Keurig is pretty great. I get all of my coffee, tea, and other neat stuff for free so the price doesn't matter.

It's just convenient for me. Maybe one day i'll do a giveaway for the Tek members, if people are interested that is.

Either french press or Chemex (if you want a cheap filter option).  If you want a good cup of coffee don't buy drip machines (except for a brand called Technivorm but they cost $200+) because they don't heat the water up hot enough(just below boiling) to fully extract the coffee.  

I work in a small IT office. Coffee is consumed so irregularly, it's perfect for us.  Plus, it only takes a few minutes. Perfect for getting a list of recent problems, grab my coffee, and go.  

I have a Keurig, but prefer my stove top percolator and a Thermos.  Hot coffee whenever/wherever I want, all day long.  Old school wins for me.

Keurig, we have one at my workplace and we make the cups for the 3rd party companies that use the Keurig design. Not really a fan of the Keurigs but hey make the company money which pays me. I don't like the thought of whatever is in the cup might be wasted, the same sized cup pack thingy is used for a 4oz, 8oz, and I think 10oz cup, what happens to the other 6oz if I make a 4oz cup of tea? This and then all the plastic/foil that gets used in the process.

All about the French Press IMO 

Keurig is a rather lazy but convenient device.  Sadly coffee doesn't really lend itself well to mass production, and sitting on shelves for months before brewed at your house.  After coffee has been roasted you have a week before it starts to go stale and even shorter if its pre ground, and don't get me started on how over roasted the majority of pre packaged coffee is (cough starbucks) also not sure why but for some reason everyone thinks darker roasted coffee has more caffeine in it when its actually the opposite. 95% of electric drip brewers don't make the water hot enough to properly extract coffee.

Thread necro.

Lock