Creating a Home Lab - Learning to be Useful in the Real World

I’ll be honest I couldn’t honestly tell you because being 22, they didn’t teach me this sort of stuff at school lol. I was more thinking you’re monthly electric bill.

Also if you’re after making a nice free diagram: https://www.diagrams.net/

1 Like

Stagger start equipment, since the most power consumed will be when you initially turn on equipment. Haven’t really touched Dell servers but my ASRockRack motherboard has an option to delay boot time when it receives power after an outage, but I also have a UPS so that initial power spike really only hits the battery of that and not the outlet. Would recommend getting one of those, APC and Eaton are good brands.

2 Likes

1500 wats or 2000 watts depending on if your circuit is a 15 amp or a 20 amp circuit. while the peak amperage is higher 1500 or 2000 are treated as the peak sustained through the outlet so that if you have a spike in demand you do not throw the breaker immediately.

1 Like

I’m gonna be honest. Unless you’re planning on having 2kw of cooling capacity in that room, you don’t want to go that route.

It looks cool and all, but it’ll be able to heat your entire house in the winter. In the summer… :grimacing:

You might be happier building a single epyc (or threadripper) server, throwing a disk shelf on it, filling it to the brim with RAM and being happy with 300w of at-wall power consumption. If you wanna play with different virtualization services, AMD has great nested virtualization features.

To add on to this, I have an r510. It sits in my garage, unused because it sucks down so much power and makes so much heat. It’s got fewer cores than my 1950x rig and uses more power. And the 1950x has a clock speed that’s almost double. :grimacing:

Now imagine Zen 2 stuff.

3 Likes

If you can wait I’d be seriously tempted to spin up your home lab on Ubuntu 20.04.

This is what I’m migrating mine to ASAP (currently KVM based on Fedora).

Mainstream In-LTS-Distro supported ZFS for storage reliability, KVM/virsh//virt-manager for virtual machine management on the same box.

Use pfsense in a VM for routing between multiple network segments within your environment (and dedicate physical NICs to it for connectivity outside the on-machine lab environment if required).

In the real world, there’s a good chance you will either not be dealing with the hypervisor level at all, or it may be KVM/VMware/HyperV.

So KVM isn’t a bad option - they all mostly do similar stuff, so if you say, understand KVM the leap to VMware or HyperV isn’t a massive leap in understanding; the core concepts are the same. KVM is also free and making further inroads due to its cost (FREE) vs. the others.

1 Like

It’s out my dude. No need to wait. I’m going to be evaluating it on my laptop tonight, then rebuilding my desktop tomorrow if it’s not a shitshow.

Yeah, I forgot. Maybe wait a day or two for the showstoppers to shake out… or YOLO and commit to it :smiley:

Well, I’ll be there to fix the showstoppers :stuck_out_tongue:

Just threw the ISO on my IODD like 10 minutes ago. DDing my laptop right now.

1 Like

I’ll do my secondary mostly unused “desktop” (hooked up to my living room TV) tonight, main lab/gaming/etc. desktop this weekend then :slight_smile:

edit:
downloading it as i write this. will spin up in a VM a little later, already have a nightly from a few weeks back