Create JBOF box to connect to server

I have two EPYC servers, and 16x U.2 NVMe drives that I need to connect (8 to each server). However, the server does not have the required slots for U.2 drives. I had an idea to use one of the 5.25" bay adapters from Icy Dock (https://global.icydock.com/products-c5-s47-i0-p1.html), and put them in a chassis like the Silverstone RM41-506. But I need to find the right combination of 5.25" bays, cables and PCIe cards to make all this work.

The server has 3 free PCIe x16 slots.

For this scenario, the server cannot be changed/upgraded/etc.

For 16× U.2 NVMe (8 per EPYC server) without modifying the servers, you basically need:
PCIe → U.2 host cards, Icy Dock U.2 modules, and the right PCIe (SFF-8643/8654) cables.

  1. PCIe Cards (Per Server)
    You have 3× PCIe x16 slots, so the simplest setup is:

Use 2× PCIe x16 cards, each supporting 4× U.2 drives
Examples: HighPoint SSD7540/SSD7140, Supermicro AOC-SHG4, ASRock Rack U.2 cards.
This gives you the required 8 drives per server.

  1. Icy Dock Modules
    Use any 4-bay U.2 5.25" modules, like:

MB699VP-B (4× U.2 in one 5.25")
Install four of these in a chassis like the Silverstone RM41-506 to hold all 16 drives.

  1. Cables
    Match card to backplane:

If the card uses SFF-8654, use SFF-8654 → SFF-8643 cables

If the card uses SFF-8643, use direct SFF-8643 cables
Use Gen4-rated cables if your EPYC platform supports PCIe 4.0.

  1. Notes
    This won’t be a real external JBOF—your card will just connect via PCIe cables to the U.2 backplanes.
    It still works perfectly as local NVMe storage.

Well, I don’t know what kind of u.2/u.3 drives you plan on installing in your server but chances are that these don’t need to be changed quite as often as HDDs (nvme being way more reliable).

As a result I would look for a case to mount the u.2/u.3 drives permanently and use the ~$1,700 you’d need to spend on the Icy Dock cages on more drives, or a mobo upgrade, or …

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.