CPU Type host causing blue screens on Win11 Guest (Proxmox with 7950X)

(Running a windows guest with VFIO and GPU Passthrough)

Finally found a solution for me losing 20% in Cinebench R23 single-core on my Windows VM (compared to bare-metal), it being switching the CPU type from x86-64-v2 to host on my 7950X Proxmox host.

Unfortunately this causes random blue screens in some games and during every shutdown. (as far as I can remember removing the GPU doesn’t help once the issue has started)

Have tried everything I could think of, found online or was suggested. So far most stuff was generic shots in the dark and didn’t help.

One thing that temporarily prevented it was re-installing windows and not installing MSI Afterburner / Direct X Runtime.
(the bluescreen error mentions direct x so installing it is most likely part of the issue, unfortunately its an essential for gaming)

specs: 7950X, MPG X670E CARBON WIFI, RTX 3080 (GPU shouldn’t be relevant)

proxmox-ve: 8.0.2 (running kernel: 6.2.16-14-pve)
Resizable bar is on (tried turning off, I think I couldn’t boot into VM after)

Anyone have some experience with this or have any troubleshooting suggestions?

when you update direct x use the web installer or go to m.s’s site and download the latest versions of june 10, dx11 if available… (although the web installer should install missing dx11 and 12 dll’s its worth the download)

dx june 10

dx 11

web installer

if it bsods after that then not sure what will help.

oh and which vm host you using. vbox doesn’t officially support direct x 10 or 11
while vmware tools does.

so if your using vbox you will have to hack it.
its an old (2018) article but should still be applicable Using Virtual Box To Play Games With DirectX, Easily

thanks for the reply.

I usually install the dx june 10 one you sent directly from MS website, the other installer just states that everything is up to date.

edit: don’t think that would help anyways since the issue happens after install so I doubt its because something is missing

Running Proxmox as a host which using KVM / VFIO so not VirtualBox. I know there will be a lot of ppl on this forum that are much more experienced then me with this kind of setup.

1 Like