CPU Support List

Hi,

First of all I would like to say hi to the community, I’m a fan of the channel and hope you are kind to me in my first post. :grinning:

So while digging through my computer hardware i found my P8Z77-I DELUXE and a i5 3330S, I believe I bought it for a project, but i never got round to finishing it. The hardware was bought used and sold as working, however from what I can recall the system wouldn’t post. The CPU fan would spin up for about 30 seconds, then slow down to stationary. The fan would cycle like this until I switched the power of from the mains, I thought it might be the BiOS so I flashed the BIOS using USB flashback feature, but the problem has persisted. I never got round to diagnosing the problem.

Today I decided to look into the issue again, I had a look at the CPU support list:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P8Z77I_DELUXE/HelpDesk_CPU/

ASUS has not listed my CPU as supported. I was wondering if this was the issue as I assumed the CPU would have been supported as it is a main stream ivy bridge chip, also I was wondering by running an unsupported chip is it a possibility I may have damaged the motherboard in some way.

Thanks for the help,

ZeZu

1 Like

Oh Gosh I hate MB problems!
I had one MB that had a checksum falure, reflash the Bios, same thing.
Buy new Bios chip, install, same thing.
Later replaced MB.
Later realized I could have bought a new CPU/MB combo for a little more :sob:

Ok I know this is zero help, sorry about that, best I can do is giva ya a bump

The Cpu list doesn’t mean it wont work it just means they haven’t tested it. Assuming correct socket ect. I am running E5-2683v3 in x99 Deluxe and its not on their Supported CPU list.

Any error codes displayed or led indicator lights?

1 Like

You might have already done this, but diagnostician in me requires me to ask. Did you remove everything from system besides a single stick of RAM, power, monitor and keyboard and mouse? Did you clear CMOS, preferably by pulling the battery for at least 30 seconds? I’ve seen issues where someone was running a graphics card, had the onboard graphics disabled, and then sold the board. Battery let the board keep the config. Best to start from scratch and work your way up.

That’s good to know the CPU should be compatible, there’s no error codes on screen as the system doesn’t boot, but the power led is green, also when using the BIOS flashback feature I believe I have followed the process correctly and the BIOS is updated to the latest version.

I’ve cleared the CMOS, tried two different sets of RAM in both in single and dual mode. the power supply is taken from a working system. I’ve removed the battery on multiple occasions, still no joy. I would assume flashing the BIOS would restore it to it’s default settings therefore wouldn’t have worry about on-board graphics being disabled. I know someone who has a 1155 system, was wondering if i should either test their i3 in my board or my i5 their board, just wondering if either of these options may cause damage to their components as I believe either the motherboard or CPU is dead at this stage.

Usually this isn’t true, but it could be on this board.

Sounds like you did all you can do with the current hardware. As long as the socket is the same for both CPUs, then swapping them around isn’t going to hurt anything. That being said, I would put your CPU in your friend’s machine with his boot drive unplugged rather than the other way around. It’s probably paranoia, but if the mobo is bad it could push too much voltage to the CPU. If the motherboard doesn’t detect a CPU it likes, it just won’t POST and throw an error. While you are swapping CPUs around, check the contacts on the bottom of the CPU and for any bent or broken pins on the socket.

I will say that I’ve never seen a CPU go bad that wasn’t abused, either physically or with voltage.