CPU Coolers for Threadripper 7000? Do Threadripper 5000 series fit?

I’m looking to build a Threadripper 7000 series system and I’m try to confirm if CPU coolers from the sTR4-SP3 will fit onto the new sTR5-SP6. I know the pins in the CPU socket are different. However, I’m trying to confirm the cooler attachment points are the same? They look the same from pictures, but those are just pictures.

My Google-Fu skills trying to find a dimensional drawing of the sTR4-SP6 CPU retention bracket/socket have been fruitless so far. Also, I’ve tried looking on CPU cooler manufacturer’s websites and now I’m just more confused. Some seem to say that coolers are compatible (with the same brackets) between sTR4-SP3 and sTR5-SP6 and some say they are not.

Any light anyone can shed on this subject would be greatly appreciated and I’d be extremely grateful.

All of the reviews I’ve read and seen seem to indicate it is the same bracket size as the previous Threadripper releases.

I bet you can also confirm on the mobo makers web site on supported coolers.

I don’t think they are all 100% compatible as Noctua is selling a separate bracket for some of their older models.

Also, the question came up in this interview with AMD’s David McAfee and the answer was NOT a resounding yes…

On a side note, in one of the Puget articles they mention they felt the need to switch to an AIO cooler in their configurations as Air coolers did not perform to an acceptable level during their testing. I’m assuming that includes the new Noctua model as well.

Yes, I found that. However, if you check out ARCTIC’s install guide for their cooler. They show one set of mounting hardware for their cooler. Hence adding to my confusion…

1 Like

This Arctic Freezer 4U-M is the new air cooler that replaced the older 4U which is only compatible with the tr4-sp3 socket.

Unless the cooler specifically says it is dual/quad socket fit designed can you be sure. To my knowledge only Arctic has made one that fits both the new and old sockets.

I assume you are the same HotRodNerd I responded to over at STH forums minutes ago about the same topic.
:wink:

Perhaps, trying to poll more minds that are smarter than mine. Haha

seems like the tech press opinion was yes, e.g. the TR block from EK fitted on Jayz video, hub even lost the bracket and used an old one.

1 Like

The older TR4 coolers are oriented incorrectly for proper front to back cooling. Only the Noctua NH-D9 4U cooler has the proper orientation. Look at the Phoronix review of that cooler on the 7980X.

Also on Noctua’s website for the bracket kit for SP6, they mention the reason for the new mounting is to supply the proper mounting pressure for the socket which the original TR3 kits do not supply.

The mounting points are the same though.

1 Like

Yes, but that cooler doesn’t come close to covering the full IHS of SP3/6 or TR5 cpus. Doesn’t look wide enough to cover a Ryzen cpu IHS.

1 Like

Looks can be deceiving it seems. That cooler got reviewed yesterday by Phoronix and it performed quite well indeed.

And at half the price of the Noctua solutions.

arctic-freezer-4u-m

The previous arctic model (which i have on a milan) also performs on par.
Arctic seems to deliver good thermals and great value, not just i this class. Gamernexus had positive results for the am4 water cooler arctic offers.
Cant go wrong with a noctua or arctic it seems.

From what can tell with the hardware that I purchased. it seems coolers that fit Threadripper 5000 (sTR4/SP3) also mount to Threadripper 7000 (sTR5/SP6) as well.

The specific hardware that I used (in case anyone is curious) is an Alphacool Eisbaer Pro (Solo) on the ASRock TRX50 WS.

Hope this helps some one out in the future.

1 Like

AMD have this list of coolers on their website now. https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper Although clicking through to most of the coolers they only say support for sTRX4. This makes me think that sTRX4 are somewhat compatible with sTRX5 excluding the Noctua etc… I notice Wendell used a NZXT AIO in one of his build/review videos… Not sure which one but might be a good option?

EK has just said their str4 will cover str5 but I don’t know how the chiplet arrangement is in comparison. Something I need to review before buying.

https://www.techpowerup.com/317750/ek-expands-quantum-magnitude-strx4-lineup-for-str5-sp6-sockets?amp

Shouldn’t make any difference. The socket fixings and the IHS are identical. As long as the EK cooler has a full-coverage coldplate you should be good.

1 Like

I have a full EK solution from my 5975wx now on my 7975wx, it has 1600W worth of cooling capacity, however the water blocks do not handle more than 350W. I have confirmed this with EK support. So, I don’t know where to find any cooling solution to let me overclock.

That seems low. I’ve read reports and tests for the EK Velocity TR4 block dissipating 488W and the Optimus Absolute Threadripper 3+ block dissipating 510W.
Optimus WC Absolute Threadripper CPU block results

I use the Optimus block myself, on Epycs, not TR’s though and been very happy with them.

The Watercool TR4 all metal block would also be a candidate. All-metal blocks get a 25W advantage right off the start because the top of the block is also a heat dissipator versus acrylic tops.

B-Stock HEATKILLER® IV PRO for Threadripper™ COPPER NICKEL

Someplace in the Optimus forum was a reply from Optimus WC that the block could dissipate 600W.

I have my system fully built and I can tell you, at about 370W, it can’t dissipate the heat. I have 2 x 420 EK radiators and a good pump.

There is also different thermal densities to deal with at the same amount of power. Running heavy AVX-512 workloads will concentrate heat much more. Just bumping the clock up and doing simple logic like arithmetic over and over as fast as possible will generate much less heat density and more wattage will able to be dispersed.

BTW, I have not been able to do any overclocking other than the EXPO + Asus AI overclocking. Anything else I try to do in the BIOS locks the machine.

I then tried disabling all of the Asus OC stuff and using Ryzen Master, and it still refused to boot.

It’s very confusing having literally 3+ sections in the BIOS that all say PBO and/or overclocking.

I did use the “Turbo VCore” tool and was able to get to a sustained 5.35GHz all core running prime95 on the most aggressive settings possible and it was totally stable. The heat was just building up.

Asus WRX90 Sage SE + 7975wx + 256GB Zeta R5 Neo

I only have AVX2 available on my Epyc 7V12 and 7713 cpus at 240W TDP.

But I do have AVX512 available on my 7950X hosts and do in fact run a AVX512 app for Asteroids@home project.

I am very experienced with core and memory overclocking of Zen2/3 and DDR4 on the X470 platform.

But when it comes to the X670 platform I am a babe lost in the woods. Way too many BIOS settings to figure out. So I too just set EXPO for memory and use Asus’ AI Opt settings for the cpu. Everything else is stock AUTO.

But I can keep the cpu from thermal throttling at 95° C. by 5-10 degrees just on a Alphacool XT45 360 radiator and a Optimus PC Signature V3 block. The cpu wants to push the clocks to thermal limits which is around 5.35Ghz for the good die and around 5.10Ghz for the bad die on my all-core BOINC loads.

When I do a AVX512 floating point benchmark run in y-cruncher, zenmonitor3 says the cpu package power hits around 275W.

If you scale my 7950X 32 thread load to your 64 thread load of your 7975WX, it should be pulling somewhere around 600W with the extra wattage from your IO die.

Encouraging that you also can hit 5.3Ghz all-core running Prime95. Was that the non-AVX version or the AVX512 enabled version?