CPU Cooler Questions

Will the Cooler Master 212 EVO air cooler be good for an i5-4690k?
Im not sure wether or not Im going to over clock my CPU but I would like the option to do so.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPUCooling/774

Buy the evo and get noctua fans?

If you're not really sure then go for the cheapest option. the 212 is highly regarded by everyone so you can't really go wrong. The Noctua is twice as expensive.
So, yeah.

Some people swear by the CM hyper 212 evo. I had one a couple years ago, and thought it was okay for mild overclocks, but it's not the best in any category. I quickly replaced it after using it for only a month.

I have the 212 EVO and Noctua case fans. I can't hear a sound out of either fan.

I have the same CPU and can overclock to 4.4 Ghz without any real tweaking my part- I just let the ASUS UEFI overclock for me and it set to 4.4 Ghz.

I have the same CPU and can overclock to 4.4 Ghz without any real tweaking my part- I just let the ASUS UEFI overclock for me and it set to 4.4 Ghz.

For kicks and giggles, I tried using the auto overclock feature on my Asus board. I found it to be a terrible experience. Even when left at stock clocks, it was terrible. The voltage was cranked up waaay too high.

(Stock)
Auto: 4.4ghz @ 1.28v
Manual: 4.4ghz @ 1.181v

(Overclock)
Auto: 4.8ghz 1.34v to 1.36v
Manual: 4.8ghz 1.296v

Could you put a Noctua fan on the 212 EVO? or have them separate?

I'm not sure I didn't try to attach the Noctua to the EVO. The fan on the EVO 212 attaches by these black plastic clips. I would guess that the clips could clamp on to the Noctua fans as easily as the coolermaster fan. You could also glue the clips on to the fan since it comes with an extra set to add a second fan on the opposite side. I don't see much point to a second fan for a radiator of EVO's size- it would probably just make the flow more turbulent and cause more noise so there's no harm in ruining the extra clips if you have to.

I didn't have that issue. I checked. There's a setting in the UEFI called "Extreme Overvoltage" - which sounds like it would be more appropriate as a name of a flavor of Doritos than a setting on any electrical device. Set "Extreme Overvoltage" to disable.

Well on my board --Asus Maximus VI Gene-- Once you choose an Auto CPU "level up" option, It'll reconfigure everything that you've already pre-defined. Auto just sucks balls in every category.

My manual overclock is far more reliable, safe, and cooler. Hell I can even get higher overclocks with manual. In auto level up, it'll go only up to 4.8ghz with stupid high voltages. With a manual overclock, I can get 4.8ghz at 1.296v, and if I feel comfortable running my CPU over 1.4v, I can probably hit 5ghz. It did boot up into windows at 5.01ghz @ 1.39v, but it crashed in AIDA64. (I don't like the idea having my CPU run at that high of a voltage for just synthetic gains. And there's a significant wall that I hit with my CPU past 4.8ghz)