CPU cooler for Ryzen 9 5950X in 4U chassis

Hey there,

we want to upgrade our ASRockRack X470D4U system with 128GB DDR4 memory from an Ryzen 7 2700X to an Ryzen 9 5950X (the best one which is still compatible with the board). We don’t plan to overclock, just want to use the default turbo boost behavior (stability over performance).

We’re using an Inter-Tech U4-4088-S case aka Rosewill RSV-4100U case, which supports a CPU cooler with a maximum height of 130mm according to the datasheet. Measuring it by myself it looks like the max. height is realistic.

The system ran stable for around 5 years using the wraith prism stock cooler and one 120mm BeQuiet Pure wings 2 for intake and 2 x 80mm Pure wings for exhaust. The airflow was not ideal, because the wraith prism exhaust is to the top. The room with the server is air-conditioned to 23° (but not Datacenter like).

I’m currently looking for a CPU cooler for 24/7 operation to handle the Ryzen 9 5950X. The cooler must not be that quiet, but it should not sound like a massive jet-engine (like 1U servers during startup), because sometimes someone is working in the room.

Coolers I found:

NH-U9S - “low turbo boost / overclocking headroom”. Possibility to add second 92mm fan or use some Noctua Industrial PPC case fan to have high airflow.

Dynatron A56 - more jet engine like.

Do you think these coolers would work? Do you have any other recommendations?

Thank you very much in advance

Noctua NH-L12S is what I would get for Air cooling. I use the NH-L9x65 in my ITX case and it’s done great.

My go-to for 4U coolers on consumer CPUs is the Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim 2. It’s pretty quiet and can easily handle the 130w it’s rated at. In my testing, it’s more like 160w. Regular tower coolers, with a 120mm fan on them, are almost invariably unable to fit inside a 4u chassis, with a few notable exceptions, like the Arctic Freezer line. Definitely do some research on this one!

Hi,

@s1ugh34d you’re using the 5950X in your ITX case with this cooler?

@Strawberry thanks, I’ll check it.

The big problem is that the memory banks in the X470D4U are very narrow to the CPU socket so that standard coolers doesn’t fit very well.

5950x is on W/C with a Optimus. The Noctua is on my 6700k on a ITX case.

That’s what I have on a 5950X in a 4U. Great cooler.

The 280W Artic Freezer 4U 120mm cooler is on sale for $36 right now.

EDIT: Sorry, that seems to be for the bigger sockets, not AM4/AM5.

I Belive that the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 Mini would fit with the RAM.

@LorenzoVonMatterhorn Oh this looks nice. I wonder if I can mount it 90° and it still fits. I have to try if Front to Back cooling is even needed here.

Would mounting a NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM to the Thermalright Peerless Assassin Mini help to improve the cooling even more? Noise isn’t a big deal, it should just not sound like a jet engine.

@noenken According to Noctua compatibility list this one is one the lower end. Do you use stock settings and it’s just working good enough?

Not sure what lower end you mean, tbh. I think I run the chip in eco mode and when I tested it for a little bit it did fine. The ASRock boards have that auto fan curve thingie that figures out the lowest possible setting and creates a curve based on that. It runs very quiet. It does not have a lot to do tho at the moment.

If it even will fit do you need more cooling performance? Keep in mind that the stick Thermalright fan has chamfered edges. Are you really going to push the CPU to 200 watts? I do not know how much the VRM will support. But these boards are usually not made for insane levels of TDP.

The A49, rather than the A56, is Dynatron’s 4U AM4 cooler. Decent chance it’s the most performant air option within 130 mm. I wouldn’t bother with Noctua, speaking from experience the NH-U12S doesn’t have much margin with a 5950X at the stock 142 W PPT.

FWIW my experience with Noctua’s compatibility ratings is they’re overly overoptimistic.

Unfortunately base to top of finstack on the 120 Mini’s 135 mm and then the fan sticks up a few mm past that, so probably ~140 mm. Versus the 130 mm available in U4-4088-S. The Peerless Assassin 90 would fit and might beat NH-U9S on performance (certainly price) but SI-100 might do better than either so far as Thermalright parts go. I don’t know of comparative tests offhand, however.

Pure Rock Slim 3 should also fit.