CPU Cooler Fan Orientation in 2U Server Case

Hi!

I am planning to build an ESXi server with the Ryzen 5900X and I plan to do it in the SilverStone RM23-502 2U case. I am having trouble deciding when it comes to cooling.

I was originally going to go with the
ASUS ROG Strix B550-A Gaming motherboard and the Dynatron A-24 cooler, but then I noticed that the orientation of the CPU socket on this (and all consumer motherboards) ist rotated 90 degrees compared to server motherboards.

How much of an impact would this have on cooling & general airflow in the case? I will have 3x 80mm front intake and 2x 60mm rear exhaust fans in the case, all Noctua, so it will have good airflow I think.

My problem here would primarily be the cost in going from the around 100$ consumer motherboard, to a 400$ server motherboard like the Asrock Rack X570D4U. Granted, the board would have IPMI and “proper” ECC RAM support, but that does not really justify the huge price bump. The stuff I read in the forums about the driver support and ASRock Rack boards in general is also not confidence inspiring.

Another solution for me would be to get the Noctua NH-L9X65 as a replacement CPU cooler. It barely fits & cools the 5900X, but from what I gather it’s fine if I reverse the fan direction to pull air through the heatsink and reduce the TDP on the CPU a bit.

I hope you can help me choose which solution would be best.

How good are you with scissors, glue and cardboard? Empty cereal boxes are perfect for crafting ductwork for servers :wink:

Blue painters tape is what I’ve found works great long term instead of glue. Easy to place and change, and doesn’t degrade into horrible goo like regular masking tape does. I’ve had some that’s now a few years old and still good. Though I don’t apply it right next to things that actually get warm just to be on the safe side.

As far as op’s question, as long as the rest of the case has good airflow (very likely with the screamers used in 2U cases) and there’s something directing some air to the components behind the CPU, I’d say it’ll perfectly fine. In a sort of opposite situation, I’ve run dynatron coolers pointed the “wrong” way on epyc/threadripper, and there are no thermal issues from any of the available sensors.

Thanks for the input! Then I will just try with the dynatron for now, although I will also try replacing the insane 7k RPM fan on it with a Noctua one to reduce noise.

Will come back and post thermals once I get everything set up and tested :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.