(Updated)
My Setup:
CPU: i5-2550K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 i5 2500k,
MB: P67X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 2nd Gen
RAM: 16G 1333 speed i think?
GPU:Nvidia 2070.

Use case:
-Gaming(Single player/RTS/Strategy)
-I run a separate refurbished server for high thread workloads.

I’ll make this quick. Live in Canada and the price different between the 3600 and 5600x is $200. I do not intend on upgrading my GPU anytime in the near future. Should I bother with the 5600x or 3600 or just wait for another generation? I’m so confused from all the reviews I’ve seen online and PC benchmark sites if I’ll even get much more from the 5600x given my GPU. Finance isn’t a huge issue, but I am frugal (hence still using a i5 2500k).

Interested in any advice. Looking to build a machine to hold up for the life of the 2070. CPU limitations of 4 Cores are becoming more noticeable.

Thanks in advance if anybody is able to help me out!

Should you be entertaining Zen2/3, as a current-tech CPU forecast, going for an 550/570 chipset, will assure either CPU option, being a non-haggle predicament. Main takeaway for the Zen3, being its larger CCX arrangement, reducing any intra-processor latency that existed prior.

It wouldn’t be as noticeable change, coming off of say Zen2. But anything else older [Zen+ / current Intel 14nm-Rehash Eta], I’m sure be a jaw-dropping experience

2 Likes

Depending on the resolution you game on.
I don´t really think that there is going to be a very large difference,
between a 3600X and a 5600X with that particular gpu.
Atleast not at 1440p.
But with a faster gpu like a RX6800 or RTX3070 / RTX3080,
then there is a bit of a performance difference in certain games.

So yeah i think it kinda depends from game to game really.

1 Like

Ideally I’d like Total War franchise games to run alright, which is pretty demanding. But I’m leaning to the 3600 since the GPU limitation and price point.

Yeah well if money isn´t really an issue,
then with a 5600X you do get the better single threaded performance.
And in certain games that could definitelly matter a bit.
But i don´t think that you could really go wrong with a 3600X either.
Because of the RTX2070 gpu.

2 Likes

Too little info on current setup. (What is the current setup… just a briefer if you can provide)
Why upgrade a decade after Sandy bridge to a mid to late gen AM4? I ask because next gen (amd and intel) is on the precipise for next year and with the current years shortages, a major overhaul is too much effort. (I assume you have a capable power supply if you have a rtx2070).
Is it a 6 series or 7 series intel chipset? Does motherboard support e3 xeons? What’s the memory situation?

my advice: If you need cpu threads, go for a i7 2600(k), e3-1270 + (v2-v3), you get threads and don’t haggle too much on overhauling the entire system.

Plus, an entire upgrade seemingly requires nvme (fast ssd) support no point in placing sata ssd 2.5" into modern systems except for backup. (Back in early 2020 I would have recommended buying USED recent computer tech. TODAY, I am witnessing used tech similarly priced to new products from r(e)tailers… it defeats the purpose).

1 Like

Updated my current config in the original post.

Reason for upgrade is I’m peaking my CPU when trying to play FF15 and Total Warhammer 2. Also, I’d like to give some of the newer gen games a try. I’ve opted to never buy a console again after Xbox 360 just because of the hardware waste.

Upgrading the CPU now seemed like a relatively okay idea since all I see is prices getting worse here in Canada as time goes on and once they go up, they don’t really come down. Even more so with what the demand will continue to be.

The main consideration was, I have a Nvidia 2070 that I don’t plan on replacing until I absolutely have to and I’d like to get the most out of it. I’ve considered getting a 4 core 8 thread i7 for a $100+ to tide me over but I wasn’t sure how big the upgrade would be going to a newer socket against getting a used $100+ i7 (Canadian used market is gross).

Hope that provides more insight! Thanks again.

1 Like

Well honnestly your sandybridge setup is really showing it’s age right now.
I mean even if you would upgrade to a 2700K, that would kinda be a waste of money i guess.
If i was you i think it would be time to upgrade honnestly.

The Sandybrdige platform isn´t likely really doing your 2070 much justice i guess.

1 Like

Also would like to point out all the new stuff,
like fast usb, nvme storage, pci-e4 etc etc.
Stuff that you simply not have with your Sandy setup.
So yeah aside from a gaming perspective,
you also gain significantly in day to day use performance if you gonna use nvme drives etc.
Even with a 3600X on a B550 board.

1 Like

Yes, you’re in a pickle. Unless you find a great deal = sub $700 (CAD)
(I cannot even add NEW Monitor 1440p and adaptive sync to TAKE advantage of GPU)
Swap out working and necessary components, and sell the meme i5 processor in the inflated market… maybe, though I’m not convinced.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wfdw8J (they don’t have Zen3 obviously listed)

It is weird your motherboard takes i7 3770k, but not the xeon version, never the less, I’d go for that and INVEST in the MONITOR for future proofing and slotting in the PCI-e 5 based system in later next year.

1 Like

This is what I through together if I went 3600. Just enough to get the system running. can add NVME in the future.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/pNWZyk

Going with the 5600x would bring that price up to just below $700. They’ve come and gone out of online stock accordingly.

Monitor is definitely on my radar for the near future also. Original idea for the post was should I bother with the 5600x or just get the 3600(not x variation) or go with a new intel offering.

I want to include everyone has been pretty helpful in deciding. I know this is stuff some of you get paid to do.

2070 is not a 1080p gpu… and hdmi 2.1 is not supported so cannot take advantage of that either. To me piecemealing a AM4 build or a straight up i7 ivy bridge upgrade. I’m upgrading my cpu and be done with it.

It’s reference point, but mainly a 18% uplift based on bottleneck is not worth it. (10 years later :confused:) Mind you ivy bridge is PCI-3 v3 matching it with your GPU. A zen 2+ is PCI-e v4 based and leap frogs your gpu. @MisteryAngel made some great suggestions… and PCI-e v4 is a stop gap, additionally have you seen the UEFI bios threads up in this place and elsewhere?.. spare yourself that nightmare :grimacing:

1 Like

Since his particular board is a P67 one,
you will not benefit from pci-e3.0.
At least if i´m not mistaking. :slight_smile:

Its cpu lanes are. I have a AsRock h61m with a Xeon e3-1270 v2 and nvme pcie adapter + gum stick (uefi modded). Gpu is direct to ivy bridge cpu @3.0 x16 and nvme goes through chipset at 2.0 x4 (shared :sob:)

What i mean is that he isn´t on a Z77 board.
So he doesn’t really benefit from pci-e 3.0,
atleast on the additional slots i believe.
But i don´t have a full documentation of the said board on hand atm.

AM4 is just a huge step forwards really,
not only in multi threaded cpu performance obviously,
but also better connectivity which is something you take advantage off every day.

The 2500K can still be used for other purposes like a linux box.
I mean Sandybridge has been a pretty cool platform,
that could hold a candle towards a few gens of intel i5´s next to it.
But yeah at this point in time the platform itself just shows it’s age.

I would personally upgrade in Op´s situation.

4 cores 8 threads ain’t dead yet… seen any r3 3300x for sale anywhere? What connectivity?

• Nvme? (Mod uefi if necessary, or get an AHCI based gum stick to add)
  • PCI-e 2.0 is STILL used in brand new b450 motherboard this very day… come on…
  • Capture card? p67 board has extra x8 slot (3 more x1 for: wifi, sas 2 port card, usb 3.2 adapter)
    I don’t see a bottleneck… Intel planned (even if by pure chance) SandyBridge and onward flexible and adaptible. Use the options available…

when it comes to newer RTS games you generally want single core performance and at least 6c/12t, making the 5600x ideal on a budget and the 5800x a fantastic choice followed by the lowest possible ram latency to not bottleneck that one thread that runs near 100% core utilization, you could consider dual rank dimms if you’re doing a new AMD build to get a little extra bandwidth from rank interleaving, just slap two of those 2x8gb DR bad boys in and target a latency of 3600mhz C14, if that’s too expensive for your blood C15-16 will do

I am not 100% sure about ideal AMD frequencies but if you can keep a comparable ram frequency and the processor supports 1900mhz IF you could try for 3800mhz ram under 9ns

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.