Could use some advice on a gaming laptop (helping out a buddie of mine)

KK so budget is under 2k looking for a 17 inch gaming laptop that is 100% compatible with windows 7 (with linux would be a great boon as well but not required) Prefer new but used is ok besides that just want something that is going to last. So far this is the best i have found https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA0S5N20756&ignorebbr=1strong text

You can overwrite any included OS with Windows 7 on whatever PC you can currently buy. By preloading drivers you can avoid complications of Win7 not recognizing newer CPU or I/O controllers.

System76 offers a 17 inch version of their Oryx Pro for about $1600 loaded with Linux out of the box.

Sager has the NP8372 and NP8370, both specced with quad-core i7s and a 17" GSYNC 1080p. Win10 preload.

HP has the Omen 17t which comes in a variety of configurations, and can be manually configured on their site. Win10 preload.

All good options. System76 will be the most Linux friendly for obvious reasons. Sager will likely be just as friendly as they source a lot of the same internals as System76. The HP will probably be the least Linux friendly due to a lot of internal white-listing so if your distro doesn’t play friendly with the NIC or USB host, there isn’t much to be done.

1 Like

You can install Win7/8/8.1 on newer Kaby Lake/CoffeeLake and Ryzen systems as long as you patch windows (and either not update or repatch after each update). You dont have to be limited to older hardware.

On a side note, why not a gaming desktop + some random laptop combo? you get much more performance, reliability, and savings for that price.

Wait, HP is bad for Linux? I read somewhere that HP was good no?

I didn’t say HP was bad with Linux. I said that of the options provided it would probably be the least Linux friendly.

$1,894.99

Well he has a great gaming desktop but is out of town for extended periods of time and its too much to take with.