Cooling technologies

Do you know these refridgerators that work on a gas flame in stead of electricity? Well, I need a simple theoretical sceme of a large scale intalation, similar to a fridge on gas, but in stead of gas, the heat source will be the sun. Maybe a parabolic mirror could be used to heat a mixture of ammonia and hydrogen? I would like to cool down a volume of about 2000 m3 to a temperature of -4°C with an outside temperature of about 40°C. Please send ideas or drawings to [email protected]

Here is a diagram of a basic propane refrigerator

It looks to use a liquid accumulator to feed the boiler then you’ll need a condensing coil (top) to condense the vapor to feed liquid into your expansion valve onto your evaporator, whatever you want cool.

I’m not familiar with ammonia but generally it shouldn’t be played around with.

What are the specific goals you have in mind? What is your project?

I need to cool a huge ice-pit on a mountain in Spain, all year round, with outside temperatures raising above 40°C during summer and no elecrricity or gas available. Google for “Pou del surdo, Xixona” to have a look.

How huge is this ice pit?

What I want to know is if this method can be more efficient and effective than just using solar (photovoltaic or solar collector).

Probably not as this scales up you’ll probably need an ass load of mirrors and a collection tower

Ammonia is still used in large produce packing plants but I only know of the propane part being used in rv refrigerators and I’m not aware it’s used in any larger scale.

1 Like

That’s about what I was thinking. Maybe a ridiculous peltier array?

So much nope!

I think a standard PV array and battery storage (possibly Hydrogen) powerng traditional compressors would be more viable.

keyword, ridiculous

1 Like

Thread closed as it was outside the guidelines for thread revival. Please PM me or a moderator if you feel the thread was closed in error. See the FAQ for more information.

Feel free to create a new thread if you wish to continue this thread’s conversation.