Constant disconnect with HID devices

Hi there. I hope to get some help with Windows 10 and the L1 KVM switch. I have the two computers with two monitor setup with the 10Gbit USB-c interface.

I’ve been having problems with my peripherals, frequently disconnecting and reconnecting. The three plugged-in are durgod fusion, pwnage wired Sym 2, and a Logitech 1080p webcam. I checked and updated the firmware for all of these, so they are on the latest available.

Attached are images of the power settings I could find in Windows 10 that might be the culprit, and I’ve since rebooted after entering the settings.

When I plug the devices into the USB hub of the computer’s front panel or motherboard, I no longer see the disconnects.

The disconnects occur in both the HID and USB3 ports, all with the same frequency, as best I can tell.

I’m using Maxonar VESA Certified DisplayPort 2.1 Cable and OWC Thunderbolt 4 Cable, 40 Gb/s Data Transfer, 100W Power Charging for all the KVM hookups.

I haven’t been able to test this in Linux yet, but the disconnects don’t happen anymore on my Windows 10 enterprise work laptop, which is connected to the KVM with an hp thunderbolt dock. On the work laptop, the power options for selective suspend are enabled so I would have expected the disconnects to occur more often, but it does not happen.

I must be missing some settings, but I can’t find them.

Sorry, it says I am only allowed to have 2 embedded images so the last one is in the top comment

power1

I’m unsure if this is worth mentioning or related, but my computer has blue-screened with a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION before. I chalked it up to Firefox since the browser became unresponsive right beforehand, but after some research, it seems like this could also be due to a hardware conflict.

I would email “wendell at level1techs dot com” so he can help you troubleshoot, but if the USB ports being weird, maybe we can get you an RMA :slight_smile: it might be a lose USB port, which would call for an RMA probably.

The thing to understand with hid ports is they are grouped together internally for soft device mapping cutover.

If you have one misbehaving hid device it can bring down the whole stack. Can you rotate devices off of the hid ports to the usb3 ports one at a time to find the culprit? Reboot the kvm after switching from hid to USB3 also.

@wendell @Level1_Amber, thank you for the swift response :slight_smile:

Currently, I don’t believe the KVM itself is the cause of the problem. The peripherals behave correctly without disconnecting on my Windows 10 work laptop through the hp thunderbolt dock.

Something else I am looking into is that the USB-c data for the non-working computer is plugged into a USB-c input on the graphics card, not on the motherboard. I have been focused on disabling power saving for HID and USB-3 devices, but the problem could be from the graphics card, not the peripherals.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/332481/type-c-port-on-my-2080ti-disconnects/

the problem described here has some similarities. specifically this comment https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/332481/type-c-port-on-my-2080ti-disconnects/2753870/. Although the cable I’m using should be high enough rated to carry all the traffic. since the DP and aux carry the video and audio, if I can somehow set the usb-c port to be data only then that might fix it.

I can’t seem to find any way to make the graphics card stop dropping IO connections. Luckily, my motherboard has a USB-A 3.1, so I can at least use it without interruptions.

You may want to try to move more devices over to the usb3 side from the hid side in the kvm.

Remember that one misbehaving device on a hid port can cause the whole usb stack to “reboot” (whereas that isn’t so on the usb3 side since those are straight passthrough).

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.