Console n00b building a steam gaming machine to beat the Alienware Alpha. PC Master race experts please advise

my god please no. ask for advice next time you build a pc too jesus christ.

you didn't sell your card for enough. should have got at least 160-180 in miid 2014 (at that point in time it was about 250 new) the 280x has held its value better than most other cards on the used market and likely will not drop much farther for a long time as 2gb is out the window for anything current. i also chose the i3 because 1. not overclocking and 2. he mentioned battlefield

Thanks for the suggestions on graphics card chrome, I guess there's no use deciding the graphics card until I have purchased the PC.

Soul, they definitely had a death grip on me for the longest time haha. Here's an update on the text I got.

The Harddrive is a WD 7200rpm caviar black 64mb WD1002FAEX

He sent me a picture of the power supply and I googled the part number to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046

Looks like I'll need a replacement (OOPS) *PSU* to handle the extra watts of the 280 or 290. I'll update this post as I go along.

what do you mean replacement hard drive to handle extra watts? huh?... what are you even talking about? it's a great hard drive. also not familiar with the PSU but it strikes my that's fishy sense i'll do some digging to see what I find.

rofl, raidmax

i wish op would spend 1k at least.

Alright so the power supply is bleh but it isn't a deal breaker and it will work but if you get the pc i suggest replacing it or at the very least plugging it into a power strip that had built in surge protection as the power supply has NO protection against such an occurrence and will easily destroy your computer in a power surge. This is where perception can be your best friend. try to see if you can identify how old his house is, the older it is the more wary you need to be of the pc as older houses tend to have a power surge when the furnace kicks in or hot water heater etc. obivously directly asking do you have power surges is going to result in a no answer.

Here is the latest update. He said he can't do $350 and he started explaining even though it's an older model it's still worth a lot, and the hard drive being worth around $200. So he said he can't go that low. I told him it has to make sense for both of us since I need to buy a better PSU to handle the R9 290 so that pushes things way past my budget. Plus I told him I need an SSD for gaming and this may not even work out at all once I figure that into my budget. So I asked if he would remove the BD and DVD drive and do $350.

So he turned around and offered me a 256gb Samsung SSD only if I would purchase at his price and if he keeps the BD. Guys I tried to fight tooth and nail for that blu ray drive but he wasn't budging. Almost thought I'd lose the entire deal so I accepted but felt a little defeated.

Then I did some research and saw these things are more reliable than the SSD I wanted.

Here is the Samsung Model: MZ-7PC256

Also he states it's a real copy of Windows

450 to inculde the ssd?... meh. it's older so it definately is going to have some wear to it but with that said it's worth 100-120 used. 450 for the pc with ssd is a deal but it's going to really tax your budget as with upcoming games I cannot reccomend anything below an r9 280 because of the 3gb vram anything lower and new games are going to stutter without drastically cutting the settings down. if you can manage a total cost of about $620 (and this is keeping that psu for a while please please please surge protection power strip and don't overclock till you replace the psu) then go for it.

Edit: ask if he's including the windows key and disc

(Sorry for the typo, I mean tot write PSU lol)

Wow that's a very valuable tip Soul, I could learn so much from this man lol. This might sound dumb but Should I get a power strip even if I replace the PSU? I'm not sure if I get surges in the house but once in awhile in cold weather the lights kinda dim for half a second once every week or so. I'll keep an eye on what he has it plugged into and how old his house is when I go there later today.

If you guys don't hear back from me then it was probably because I was abducted. In that case I will leave a paper at the house with the guy's name and address so the police can hopefully apprehend him before he spends my money. lol. Anyway I updated the thread with new info below.

I beg to differ. I wish I had stayed with AMD. It cost me $500 just to switch from my FX8120 with an ASUS 990FX crosshair V board and 16GB 2133 RAM to an Intel i7-4770k with board and 16GM 1600 RAM.

My 4770k is a bitch to cool. My 8120 was easier. $500 was not worth the ~10 fps boost I got. upgrading my GPU would have done the same.

I am personally a fan of the AMD FM2+ series. The Athlon II 860K is an excellent chip!

Here feast your eyes. Feel free to remove the extra wireless AC chip at the bottom if Wireless AC is not important to you. The board comes with BT4.0 and wireless n.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Kz8Vgs

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Kz8Vgs

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Kz8Vgs/by_merchant/

• CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($73.99 @ NCIX US)
  • Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard  ($94.89 @ SuperBiiz)
  • Memory: Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
  • Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.98 @ OutletPC)
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card  ($158.42 @ Amazon)
  • Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($41.99 @ Micro Center)
  • Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($33.89 @ OutletPC)
  • Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260HMW 802.11ac Mini-PCI-Express Wi-Fi Adapter  ($26.99 @ Mwave)

Total: $562.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-19 11:42 EST-0500

a power strip won't be necessary so long as you take my suggestion for a psu. I know your budget is tight so an EVGA 600b should do well.

I have been gaming on Linux since 2005 and I am not disappointed. You might want to consider either dual-booting Windows/Linux or dropping Windows and installing Linux. That would shave ~100 off your total. Sure Windows 10 has DX12, Linux has OpenGL Next. Windows has Unreal Engine 4, so does Linux. Runs just fine. most really popular, competitve FPS games are available on Linux. Not BF4 mind you but the real competitive ones like UT2004, Quake, CS:Source/GO, etc.

if he gets this used pc that won't even be an issue haha

Hopefully it won't be too much wear on that SSD. Yeah it's going above my budget for sure but that just means I can't take my girlfriend out anywhere interesting for awhile (hopefully she doesn't see this). In fact I'm probably gonna delete this lol

I will definitely at least get an R9 280 then. I'll try to negotiate a few last dollars in person so that I can get a 290 instead.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about the windows key and disc. I'll definitely make sure he's including that. I'll go ahead and buy the PSU that you recommended if I buy this PC. http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-80PLUS-Bronze-Certified-100-B1-0600-KR/dp/B00EON40CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424365293&sr=8-1&keywords=EVGA+600b

I told him I'd be able to come see if after school later today. When I purchase the PC I'll come back and update the thread!

you could always sell the Blu Ray on Ebay or Craigslist if that's something you're up to. i'd imagine you could get 30-40 bucks out of it.

True but he said he's keeping the BD if  he gives the SSD.

Maybe I can just install windows on the SSD and sell the hard drive for a good $100. Not sure but I figure since the games and software need to be installed on the SSD to take advantage of the speed the hard drive might be useless for the most part 

that hard drive was worth 200 new back in the day.. it would be worth 50 new now but is worth 30 used, but his pricing makes it obvious he knows. you'll probably need the hard drive for more storage anyways. definately install windows on the ssd though and use the hard drive as secondary :P also not all games are worth putting on an ssd.

Gotcha. That's a bummer, I thought it would be worth more but ah well I'll just keep it then.

So I forgot to ask the all important question, Do you think this rig would be capable of running games on Ultra settings with maybe 50-60fps (without overclocking) With the 280 graphics card. 

Also, this might seem stupid but do you think that this CPU will need an aftermarket CPU cooler or will it be fine? I suppose since it's a higher end CPU it would have a higher end fan along with it. Maybe I can use that as a means of lowering the price if he has the stock fan. I don't know.

not sure what motherboard it's on, depending on the board overclocking may not be an option even after replacing the psu, either way compared to building new this still beats it and I can advise you further when you have the system. the stock fan is fine at stock settings but will most likely need replaced for an overclock and it will run all games at ultra, the most recent titles, such as far cry 4, may need a setting or two turned down to keep from stuttering for example 2xmsaa instead of 4x msaa. (like i mentioned before vram usage of new titles has become very large over night even the best graphics cards are nearing their vram limit) but vram stuttering is something that doesn't affect overall fps in most cases, it affects the smoothness of gameplay. I think you will be extremely pleased with the build so long as you don't have the mentality "every setting must be at max!"