Console n00b building a steam gaming machine to beat the Alienware Alpha. PC Master race experts please advise

00:37:20Thanks Soul. That's awesome of you. I'm in the Greenville SC area so that's where I'm looking. I've been scouring craigslist ever since murda told me about that idea. 

Haven't really found anything that seems worthy except for this one. Your thoughts? I'll probably delete it after you look at it so the guy's info isn't on the internet lol

Edit: Here are the stats:

3.4ghz Intel core i7-2600k
8GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel HD graphics 3000
LG Super Multi BD Rewriter
Asus DVD RW
1TB HDD

Cooler Master Elite case

$450 OBO

I sold my 280x for $140 mid 2014 after buying it earlier that year for $320. Don't buy that card. It's based on a previous gen architecture. If your budget for a gpu is $200 I'd go for a 290. It will sell a lot easier than a 280 will plus it's newer architecture. I had a HIS 280x and the cooler on it was amazing. Here is a HIS 290 for $260, one of those instances where that $60 would come in handy. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161459

As far as resale is concerned, not too many people are going to buy used pc parts, especially if they are either a Pentium or an i3. 

The power requirements for both the 280, the 280x and the 290 are the same. They all require a 750W psu. That could get expensive, may find that buying a more expensive Nvidia with a cheaper psu may be a better value while preforming better too. 

I'd call the cpu a loss. As noted earlier, the i3 doesn't improve overall fps enough to justify $60 extra unless all you play is BF4, then you're screwed: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-b81-cheap-overclocking,3888-3.html

Building your first rig is very difficult, once you get some decent bones you're set but getting there is hard. You may want to weigh what is most important to you and splurge in other areas. For instance, getting a decent mobo and cpu and a crap/throwaway gpu until you have more cash. You could get a 270 for pretty cheap and then upgrade that single bit later. Instead of having a large list of things to do, minimize it. You won't be relying on resale.

Although if you do it the other way with the big list of things to do you could have enough leftovers to make a HTPC, a media server, or steam client. 

decisions, decisions. 

Soulfallen will know better, but I would try to pay 250 for it. That cpu is I think 4 generations old Jan 2011.  Also, there is no graphics card. It would work nicely with a 280.

lmao, this guy is my hero:

http://greenville.craigslist.org/sys/4895844793.html

Who would pay that much of a 750 and a old A10. 

I might move to Greenville when it's time for me to sell my rig. 

ask him to drop the blu-ray drive and that should bring it down a bit. 

Also, check what the psu watt is, make sure it's at least 750w if you want that 280. Weird he didn't include it in the description, it may not come with it. I wish he had a inside pic. 

You're right, it was released Jan 9th 2011. Still kills the i3 though, duh. 

lmao sounds about typical for craigslist

looks good, offer him 350 if he doesnt want to take that ask if he'll drop an optical drive like the others said, if he still doesnt go for it offer 400 he'll go for it. make sure he let's you try it out, bring a usb with the program OCCT on it, it'll detect any instability with the cpu in a mere couple minutes, if the test doesn't fail you're golden.  I also have a feeling that windows is pirated nobody legitimately buys windows pro unless if they have 16 gigs plus of ram or one of the other odd needs to have it, if it is indeed fake talk him down to 350 (or less) using that as leverage.(right click my computer or whatever it is in windows 7 youll see what is pictured below, look for windows is activated, this can be faked but most don't bother)

use the remaining 150-200 dollars to get an r9 280 or 280x, get the best the budget will allow

I am a big fan of your avatar. 

Yeah Murda it's an older cpu but still beats the shit out of any AMD and sure as hell beats the fuck out of an I3 or pentium.

750w isn't even necessary in the slightest. 500w will do the trick 600w is preferable anything more is overkill.

Thanks, i felt it suiting since i've been playing skyrim so much lately, not really many other choices at the moment. HD 4600 graphics ftw.

I'd just like to add none of the other 'gaming pcs' are worth considering in your area.

Lol chrome I actually saw that ad and even though I'm not much of an expert in PCs I thought to myself why is he asking that much for a gaming computer with that graphics card. Hah. Then again I've seen people asking ridiculous prices down here for cars and trucks as well. Who are these special people and where do they come from? lol.

Good to hear this PC is better than the AMD or i3 even though it's older. I was wondering why I didn't see a graphics card listed but yeah perfect opportunity to upgrade it to a R9 280 style graphics card. I'll try to throw him a $300 offer without the optical drive and see how it goes tomorrow.

I just hope it's not a 5600rpm hard drive in that thing lol. but an SSD will probably be a good thing to have.

Oh yes, I downloaded OCCT. I ran a test but cancelled it after 2 minutes, a little too tired to fully understand it right now but I'm guessing if I waited longer it would have told me if things are fine and dandy or not. 

I'll come back and update the thread. I'm going to remove the link now but I do appreciate your help guys. Priceless I tell you.

Thanks again for the detailed info about that. I'll definitely use that as leverage for negotiating if that happens to be the case.

Yeah it's a bummer about not having many choices in my area. =/ If this one doesn't work out maybe I'll just wait patiently for the right one. I guess it's better for the money than building a 'shit rig' lol

occt runs as long as you let it run 5 minutes is all you need though, if it fails it'll pop up and let you know. Also not a problem, i'm happy to loosen Sony/Microsoft's deathgrip on gamers 1 person at a time.

I have a 3770 and a gtx 680. I see no reason to upgrade at this time.

The only game I have played that truly taxed my system hard enough on high to force me to lower my resolution was dragon age inquisition. Even shadow of mordor still runs good on my machine at high. 

I can also play most old games with 4x dsr and texturepacks. 

I am waiting for the next generation of amd gps. That will be the last card I need for 1080p gaming. When I upgrade to 4k, this will become my i7 seedbox/1080p legacy computer. 

I wasn't saying its bad, just that its old. I agree that it is a great cpu. 

i'm surprised you don't get the 'jitters' in Shadow of Mordor with only 2gb vram (unless if you have the 4gb version?)

Dont give up your day job because that build is just so bad that there isnt a single part that is good.

no I have the 2gb version. It isn't flawless, but not bad enough to worry about it. Clearly it isn't a 60 fps experience. I would bench it, but it isn't installed.