Hey all. First time post.
Long time YouTube viewer.
Hopefully this is the best place to get some sage advice.
I have a neglected windows 10 socket 2011 workstation I’m planning on selling the core components of and upgrading to an AM4 Ryzen platform (likely Asus PRIME B550-PLUS).
The main purpose of this is to add thunderbolt 3 connectivity (add in card) for use with my audio interface (hobbyist recording studio),
And to add extra CPU grunt for video export (youtube).
It is pretty imperative that the thunderbolt audio drivers remain stable for obvious reasons.
I’m also running a gen 8 hp microserver on freenas (ZFS) for basic archiving and also as a modest plex server.
Ive found it a bit unstable recently but I run it specifically because i like the idea that if my server fails the drives can be imported in to another machine with minimal hastle. Free BSD is a mystery to me so I struggle with freenas. I’m not a console junkie. linux is a little better but not by much.
I’m keen on the idea of ditching the microserver all together and going for a 1 box solution using something like unraid.
The set up would effectively be a windows 10 workstation, with a small headless ZFS file server/plex.
and the option to very occasionally boot a training VM. (Kali/eve-ng). though this could be done within windows if needed.
I’d just like a sanity check on this idea?
- can thunderbolt 3 be passed through ok? any penalty for doing so?
- any info on the suitability of this board/chipset or similar?
- is importing my ZFS pool from freenas streight forward? I gather it requires a plugin.
- Any tips/gotchas/thoughts/guides you recommend?
- if i wanted to boot a training environment is it simple to re-assign CPU cores and ram temporarily?
- Is there anything stopping me running vmware workstation in windows on an unraid machine?
- Is it possible to dynamically share resource? for example if I had a media encode instance that is dormant 99% of the time, could it dynamically steal resource from the windows machine when it has a job?
As a side issue. My current copy of windows 10 was upgraded from a physical retail copy of win 7 that i still have. How do i handle transferring this licence to a new machine?