Considering Fiber With VoIP

I’m paying $275/month for cable internet with two phone lines (one number with rollover to 2nd). My service is expensive, terrible, and I hate it.

But I discovered a Uniti fiber junction next door. They quoted $330 x 36 months for 50/50 service. That’s more than I’m spending now, but with a cheap VoIP solution, I’d welcome a more reliable service.

Our phone needs are simple. We have wireless handsets sprinkled around the shop. It rings, you play chicken to see who answers. 90% of the time you can answer the question, 10% they need someone specific. Maybe 20hrs a month.

That makes VoIP.ms at $0.01/min about $12/month. 8x8.com is $12/user. Not sure how many users we need. There are only 3 of us, but given the building layout, I need 5 physical phones to all ring on incoming calls.

At home I use voip.ms along with 3cx free as my PBX.

I have a ATA hooked into the old DECT phones along with a softphone on my PC. So far the service has been quite good. There were a few early hiccups but that is usually common when switching from one service to another.

2 Likes

Why do you need your own PBX server? Can you not just hook your IP phones up to their service?

VoIP.ms Features

I don’t have IP phones, I have basic DECT phones that need an ATA.

The ATA can be hooked straight to voip.ms, but the convenience of a softphone along with that I know how to maintain a basic PBX was too good to pass up in my scenario.