Connecting LAN's through the internet, what are my options?

Hey guys,

Me and a buddy recently got together and are looking into ways of bridging our two home networks together. We currently have a digitalocean account we manage together with our own LDAP server which we use to manage users and SSH keys between our three servers. Our servers are running CentOS 7.6.

We want to bridge our two LAN’s together. Our current idea’s are OpenVPN, Pri-tunnel, and Zero-Tier networking.

Though we are both pretty new to this idea and not sure how to explore it. I’ve heard of things such as SD-WAN and dynamic multi-point VPN’s. Our current working theories suggest using our server on Digitalocean as a router or using equipment at home to bridge our networks.

If any of you guys have guides, useful information, or anything of the sort we would both really appreciate it. If I got any of this wrong or misunderstood the terminology let me know. This scale of networking is something I’ve never really approached before.

i have an OpenVPN server running on my home server.
it is set up such that any OpenVPN client will be visible as another DHCP client on my home network.

this effectively lets me connect a device to my home’s LAN from anywhere in the world. assuming the connection is reliable.

an OpenVPN setup similar to mine sounds like what you’re asking for. my setup requires the VPN client program to be running on each individual device i want to connect to my LAN.

to bridge two entire LANs together, you would need to figure out some way to have a router run the VPN client program in such a way that every single device is individually tunneled to the VPN server. (maybe some DHCP server sorcery could help)

Did you have any particular guide or documentation that was really helpful in setting that up?

That’s really close to what we want to do basically, obviously we can play with DHCP and see if we can work some magic. But we’ll look at that for now. Thanks man!

// replying here as duplicate thread currently has no activity

My first thought would be to look into how larger corporate networks handle multiple routers. My guess would be that the simplest/best approach would be to have each router manage DHCP under a different prefix (←that is probably not the correct terminology) like so:

Local LAN 192.168.1.x
Friend LAN 192.168.2.x

Then set up some sort of tunnel, and tell the local-router that packets for IPs starting with 192.168.2.x should go to the tunnel, and inversely tell friend-router that packets with IPs starting with 192.168.1.x go into the tunnel.

Maybe these sorts of tunnels are what IPsec is used for? I really am a network amateur.

I use a site-to-site OpenVPN tunnel using pfSense as the router on each end.

1 Like