Connect a graphics from outside the case using PCIe riser cable and supply additional power

I didn’t know those existed. Sth. like that would be an option to deliver additional electricity to larger cards (RTX 3050, or RX 6600XT for instance).

In my case I would need a solution similiar to eGPU (withouth the USB C, but with a riser cable), to be able to use a more modern GPU.

What model is the SFF computer? I know that Gamers Nexus refers to these motherboards as e-waste because they are non-standard and ‘can’t fit in any other case’ but that isn’t always true. I grabbed a cheap random ebay Acer motherboard to replace a flaky MSI board, and while it is kinda-sorta-but-not-really FlexATX shaped, it still fit and screwed down fine in an old Lian Li case. It would be way cheaper and easier to fit everything in one standard case if at all possible. If it has oddball power input instead of 20/24 pins, they sell adapters. I chose the Acer board specifically because it had standard power and fan headers to make life easier, but it’s not an insurmountable issue.

The SFF computer is a Fujitsu D9010DT. FUJITSU Desktop ESPRIMO D9010 : Fujitsu Global

I’ve bought this computer as a replacement, to have a stable and low power desktop at home. I’ve thought about moving the part into a standard ATX case too. The layout of the mainboard is non - standard ATX though, I’d have to check if it can be moved to a standard case.

The idea is good though.

You mentioned riser cable and additional external PSU.
Can you dremmel a slot near the PCIe slot, to pass a PCIe ribbon outside?
Problem would be a loose component hanging out the side.

Obviously you can link a switch to PSU 2’s green pins to jump them on, but again it is a little open.

It’s a shame the mini PC can’t have the sides transposed into a slightly larger case, that would allow it all to be contained, including a PSU for the GPU, but I guess mini PC’s don’t have sockets lining up right, and not worth bmgettin extensions.

Maybe Dremel a hole for the riser ribbon, and making up a “box” to encase/shroud the GPU/PSU? Out of wood? Metal better but cat be glued the same

The case has both a 1/2 height opening and a full size single-height opening for the PCIe 3.0 X16 card. A riser card is included, but I was considering to maybe get a riser cable.

I’m going to check the mounting mechanism for the custom mainboard later.

One more thing I forgot to mention; Fujitsu PCIe-slots are not all wired up too PCIe spec, & connecting to the slot directly, w/o going through the included riser can possibly fry your card. This is the case with some server motherboards as well, & I’ve lost a peripheral or two too this. My understanding is that proprietary pcie slots usually just move some GND pins to somewhere they shouldn’t be as a bit of a F$&%-You, so before plugging anything in I would double check both; the documentation, & some hardware modding forums where people may have dealt with these motherboards before.

2 Likes

That is good to know Thanks!

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of that being possible. I’ll be carefull!

1 Like

Currently I’m thinking to get a used GTX1650 (plan B) and a riser cable.
The issue with the certified GTX1650 is, that it costs around EUR 420. :expressionless:

What about just getting a new case and power supply to avoid something that sketchy?

1 Like

That’s also a possibility. The mainboard has an ATX 20+4 power in and should be compatible with any modern ATX power supply. The mainboard is a custom Fujitsu one, where I’ll have to check if it meets the µATX / ATX drill hole layout.

I would still need a riser cable though, since the custom CPU cooler is in the way.
For reference: My old ATi X800XT would probably fit well, because its a single socket and single bracket card.

1 Like

Sure, you’ll need to check all those things and, if you’re really into SFF machines, buying a new case is an investment in my opinion.

If you don’t mind posting pictures I’d like to see that. Seems really weird thinking about it, so I think I’m missing something.

I’ve bought this used SFF machine, because it saves space and I needed a new main computer. However, in the long term getting a full scale computer is also an option.

I had hoped that, I could add a “value” GPU so I can play a few more games, if the riser cable plan doesn’t sound good.

You can find an overview of the computer here: Connect a graphics from outside the case using PCIe riser cable and supply additional power - #9 by Sean_Dudley (last link in that post).

I already have taken a few pictures. Which would be the best option to share them?

I believe this is exactly what you are looking for.

1 Like

Really close to what I’ve been thinking of.

Just upload them to the forum as a reply to your own post. Or update the first post.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and opinions on this. :slight_smile:
I’ve decided to not expand my SFF machine for now, because the feasibility of this kind of project is rather low.

1 Like

I am using an adapter I got from hwtools.net on my skull canyon nuc to connect a Gtx 750ti to its m.2 slot with x4 pcie 3. The adapter has an atx connector, and turns the card on and off with the computer. Another advantage on this cpu is that makes the on package cache serve the cpu instead of the gpu, like with the 5800x3d.

Sounds interesting. Currently I’m waiting for GPU prices to drop further. Maybe I’ll get a single slot card.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.