Connect a graphics from outside the case using PCIe riser cable and supply additional power

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask if someone has already built something like this:

SFF computer (Intel i5 10th Gen.)
PCIe riser cable (PCIe 3rd/4th Gen.)
GPU mount
GPU (say an RTX 3060 Ti)
An additional PSU, to feed the GPU (maybe a standard desktop model?)
Bonus: Wires to auto start the second PSU.

This is currently a thought experiment for me, as I replaced my old computer with a used SFF machine and am thinking whether to add a modern GPU to this system, or build a second computer, purely for playing games.

The advantage, that I see is that the GPU could use the entire PCIe 3.0 bandwith and I could still dual boot Windows and Linux.

Best regards

Mark1

2 Likes

Hi back! Is fan noise a concern at all? If so, an eGPU enclosure seems to me, kind of a lot (+$200) too hang on to an sff setup, even with Windows thrown in (sorry, I hope thatā€™s not too forward!).

A Noctua-NHP1 (~$100) or some other passive heatsink might fix that; but wouldnā€™t fit in any enclosure, limits the max. TDP you can work with (3060ti at [200w] would be right out, but 3050/8GB at [130w] might be okay. not 100% sure of that.), & of course carries the risks of installing a cooler on a bare die yourself.

These are the thoughts of a weird silence freak though, & if the sound of UltimatePowahhhhhh rocks you to sleep/your world, then Hell-Yeah, electric supercharger hood ornaments are always metal af!!

You are not looking for an eGPU enclosure, are you?
https://www.akitio.com/expansion/node-titan

Not really, because itā€™s not a Laptop. Iā€™m not sure if eGPU were compatible with my setup. I donā€™t know if it were properly discovered by my Fujitsu D9010DT.

Hi, thanks for the answer! Iā€™m someone who enjoys a silent setup. It doesnā€™t need to be super silent though.

However, I was wandering, what to do in case I want to game a little.
I could get a GTX1650 (without a 6 PIN connector) and try to modify it, so that it fits inside my Fujitsu D9010DT.

Assuming the host (computer/laptop/etc.) has a thunderbolt port (example below), and the enclosure supports it correctly, it will work with any PCIe-device in the enclosure.

Iā€™ve checked on my SFF computer, it has only a standard USB-C port.
Iā€™ll think about getting a small GPU for this case and / or building a gaming rig sometime.

Good to receive some input from others. :slight_smile:

Shame. While costly, it would have been easy to set up.

If there is an M.2 slot available inside the SFF, I think there are ways to pipe that through a cable and into a PCIe-riser. IIRC someone on this forum has done that with a laptop.

Which would leave the issue of the PSU.

1 Like

The only half-height, single-slot RTX cards I know of are Quadros.
[Nvidia's Single-Slot Low-Profile Pro GPU Has 8GB of Memory | Tom's Hardware]

If you mean one of these [https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Graphics-DisplayPort-Connector-Axial-tech/dp/B08GL4YJK6] Itā€™s supposedly equivalent in performance, but needs a full-height, dual-slot. If your case has one of those, the only question left is noise-threshold.
Fully Silent PCs has done some work on this [https://www.fullysilentpcs.com/product/asus-gtx-1650/?v=7516fd43adaa] if you can tolerate a price jump, but it may also exceed dual-slot compatibility(?).

It doesnā€™t look like their case has any Thunderbolt ports on it.
[FUJITSU Desktop ESPRIMO D9010 : Fujitsu Global]

1 Like

That would take me back to the start. I have a Full PCIe 3.0 x16 slot available. So using a riser cable an a GPU is possible. I could lead the riser cable outside of the case.

Maybe I could use a not so power hungry card. OR I could connect just any card and would need an extra PSU for this.

1 Like

The below links a from a local price comparison site and thus in German.

The RTX based LP wouldnā€™t fit into the case, but the power target is ok: PNY RTX A2000, 6GB GDDR6, 4x mDP, Smallbox ab ā‚¬Ā 439,90 (2023) | Preisvergleich Geizhals Deutschland

The above card seems to have a lot of compute units, so it in theory should work well.

Dual slot it cannot fit inside the computer, because the CPU heat sink extends below the PCIe slot. I would need to remove the slot bracket and build a custom cooler to install it inside the case.
The T1000 would fit into the machine, but it costs twice as much as a GTX 1650: PNY T1000, 8GB GDDR6, 4x mDP, Smallbox ab ā‚¬Ā 446,99 (2023) | Preisvergleich Geizhals Deutschland

I should probably also include the disclaimer: Tech reviewers always say not to try to use Pro cards for Gaming. Price-to-Perf. is apparently just not there.

1 Like

AC-DC-Molex is apparently also a thing [100-240V AC to 12V DC Power Supply with 4 Pin Molex 5A / 5000mA | eBay], but at only 60w, you would need a few of them + molex-pcie adapters as well.

I thought that maybe a used GTX1650 is an option and to maybe mod the cooling solution and or lead a PCIe riser cable outside (option B).

I didnā€™t know those existed. Sth. like that would be an option to deliver additional electricity to larger cards (RTX 3050, or RX 6600XT for instance).

In my case I would need a solution similiar to eGPU (withouth the USB C, but with a riser cable), to be able to use a more modern GPU.

What model is the SFF computer? I know that Gamers Nexus refers to these motherboards as e-waste because they are non-standard and ā€˜canā€™t fit in any other caseā€™ but that isnā€™t always true. I grabbed a cheap random ebay Acer motherboard to replace a flaky MSI board, and while it is kinda-sorta-but-not-really FlexATX shaped, it still fit and screwed down fine in an old Lian Li case. It would be way cheaper and easier to fit everything in one standard case if at all possible. If it has oddball power input instead of 20/24 pins, they sell adapters. I chose the Acer board specifically because it had standard power and fan headers to make life easier, but itā€™s not an insurmountable issue.

The SFF computer is a Fujitsu D9010DT. FUJITSU Desktop ESPRIMO D9010 : Fujitsu Global

Iā€™ve bought this computer as a replacement, to have a stable and low power desktop at home. Iā€™ve thought about moving the part into a standard ATX case too. The layout of the mainboard is non - standard ATX though, Iā€™d have to check if it can be moved to a standard case.

The idea is good though.

You mentioned riser cable and additional external PSU.
Can you dremmel a slot near the PCIe slot, to pass a PCIe ribbon outside?
Problem would be a loose component hanging out the side.

Obviously you can link a switch to PSU 2ā€™s green pins to jump them on, but again it is a little open.

Itā€™s a shame the mini PC canā€™t have the sides transposed into a slightly larger case, that would allow it all to be contained, including a PSU for the GPU, but I guess mini PCā€™s donā€™t have sockets lining up right, and not worth bmgettin extensions.

Maybe Dremel a hole for the riser ribbon, and making up a ā€œboxā€ to encase/shroud the GPU/PSU? Out of wood? Metal better but cat be glued the same

The case has both a 1/2 height opening and a full size single-height opening for the PCIe 3.0 X16 card. A riser card is included, but I was considering to maybe get a riser cable.

Iā€™m going to check the mounting mechanism for the custom mainboard later.

One more thing I forgot to mention; Fujitsu PCIe-slots are not all wired up too PCIe spec, & connecting to the slot directly, w/o going through the included riser can possibly fry your card. This is the case with some server motherboards as well, & Iā€™ve lost a peripheral or two too this. My understanding is that proprietary pcie slots usually just move some GND pins to somewhere they shouldnā€™t be as a bit of a F$&%-You, so before plugging anything in I would double check both; the documentation, & some hardware modding forums where people may have dealt with these motherboards before.

2 Likes