Connect 2 systems P2P and switch without conflicts?

Ordered 2x x550-t2’s. Plugging one in my PC and one in my truenas.
The nic on the MB is pooping it self when I do big transfers so I have to reboot the nas to get it working again. (*edit: that’s the reason I decided to get replacements)

Since the new nics have 2 ports, would it be possible to set up a P2P connection between nas and pc for 10gbe speeds while keeping both machines on the network as normal through the switch? I don’t have a 10gig switch, yet, and I’m wondering if I even need one at the moment.

1 Like

I had a similar, but not similar situation. Wireless connection to my NAS from Laptop, and a hard wired connection when I wanted to do larger transfer.

Setup the two interfaces on two different subnets. One interface has mapped drives to the NAS’s hard wire IP, the other is the LAN.

Doing the same should work for you. Setup the two interfaces on the NAS, one to your normal network, the other addressed to the direct connection. Do the same for the client.

3 Likes

Just set IPs manually on the PC-NAS connections, and make sure they are a different subnet and do not set a default gateway, only IP and subnet mask.

Leave the main connection to switch as the normal IP or DHCP, and do have a default gateway set up on it.

It will use the main switch connection for all traffic, except to the specifically mapped share on the other subnet.

2 Likes

This is great! Thanks guys :smiley:

1 Like