Computer wont work! Fried motherboard?

i'm posting this in the inbox.exe because it is very important to me and that it be answered and solved.

i am trying to sell my computer to buy the rest of my future build. in order to do so i need everything in working order. i also would like to do so very soon.

someone i talked to said my motherboard might be fried, so thats where i got that piece of info.

my build is this,

EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Intel ATX LGA775 D975XBX2 Motherboard

4GB DDR2 silverline Mushkin RAM 800 Mhz

630W RaidMax power supply

1 250gb wd black, 1 140gb seagate barracuda

my moniter is a acer al2016w with dvi

so for a long while 2-3 months my computer had no case and still dosen't have one. i was on vacation and didnt have my case with me with i set it up without. so anyway it worked 100% fine yada yada yada when i was on vacation, but when i brought it back home i found out the case had been moved to storage so i couldnt get it and decided to just set it up like i had before on a table, parts all out in the open. i proceded to turn it on by using a piece of metal to touch both red power pins on the mobo. everything worked fine except nothing showed up on screen except "no signal". i left it on for a while to see if something would happen but nothing did so eventually i just turned my computer off via the power switch on my psu. ive tried this several times including using a hd 4850. eventually i gave up obviously. one more thing that i noticed is that when i had it only for awhile the fan speed never died down either.

so what do i do.

can't think of anything else to say

gracias

did you try putting the card in a different slot. and also try a different monitor, or check if your video cable is plugged in(this has happened to me so many times!). Check if your cpu power cable is seated properly, and the mobo power. if it has a debug led then look up the code!

have no other monitors

have no led

tried a different slot

are you attempting to turn it on through the on board VGA output?

i don't have a vga cable.

the parts i listed are all the computer parts i own apart from a m5a97 le r2.0 fx 8350 a 450w psu and the asus 4850 gpu i mentioned

The First thing i would try is the RAM, Remove One DIMM than the other... and even diff ram if u have any

Even a put the ram on a diff board if u have one

If it were ram he would at least be getting BIOS beeps giving a memory read error.

If it has onboard HDMI try that, whatever it has available. The idea is to bypass the graphics card.

It can't hurt to reset the CMOS, should be the first thing you should try.

Being on and other bench and not in a case... the beeper wouldn't be installed

EDIT: actually... attach a Beeper or power led... something to the Speaker circuit on ur mobo and see wat it does

From the information above I assume that you are receiving proper boot sequence codes, and you have a buzzer to check for the codes. Refer to your manual on what each beep code means, and that is probably the problem.  Also if there is no beep code then check to see if your cpu has its power connector attached.  That's the number one problem I find.   
The first thing you want to do is make sure it's not the monitor.

• check all video connections to the monitor/computer for them to be secure and true to the connection
  • make sure your monitor isn't manually set to a configuration that it isn't plugged into (example is being set to vga when it is set to dvi)

If that doesn't work move to the next step.  Plug the video directly into your integrated graphics (attached to the motherboard).

• Assume that first your CMOS settings have been reset, and it is running through integrated graphics
  • Or your video card is kaput, and needs to be removed if just plugging in and booting doesn't work

If that doesn't work assume ram

• pull each ram stick out one at a time if there are two, or pull all ram out and reinsert/reboot tell you find the culprit (also remember to replace parts with known parts in working order, and if it fails still make sure to retest those parts in a working machine.  If those parts fail after the failed test move to the motherboard)

Next on the list of constant annoyance, everything else

• pull all extra components out that don't sound like the following: a stick of ram, cpu, heatsink for cpu, motherboard, power switches for motherboard, and the power cable that connects to your power source and power supply (repeat the steps for ram to be cautious.)

after this step we proceed with the utmost caution.

• remove the cmos battery, unplug, hold power button for 10 seconds, plug back in, leave cmos battery out, and boot (repeat the steps for ram to be cautious.)

Next turn off the computer

• turn off the computer, flip the switch, unplug the power supply, and then proceed to remove any power connections from the supply to the motherboard.
  • If possible test power supply that is in known working order

Now for the tough stuff, instead of the usual tool kit, you will need cpu grease remover and more compound for application, another motherboard, and another cpu of the same socket and is supported by your motherboard.

• turn on the pc, and let it run for about 5 minutes
  • turn off and unplug
  • remove heatsink
  • remove cpu, and test in the second motherboard for functionality (if this fails, and the backup cpu boots properly in the spare, then the cpu is your culprit.  But be warned your motherboard may still be frying cpus, so it might be best to replace both to save on some erroneous costs.)

Motherboard:

• all other options appear to have been exhausted, and it appears your motherboard is bad.  Please replace at once for continued enjoyment of the computational world... sorry
  • Otherwise you can gamble and throw another component that fits in the spot of assumed failure in to see if it gets fried (only to be done if you have nothing else to lose).

Reseat your main board power and your cpu power.  If you're receiving beep codes, look up your manufacturer and the corresponding red lights and beeps and try to figure it out from there.  If you don't have any extra spare parts around, it's really hard to decipher where the problem is coming from.

Also, to avoid problems in the future, make sure your main board is on risers, you don't want it touching anything on the bottom substrate. 

Having been a tech, beep codes are usually signs of improper installation of RAM, just pull them out and re-install the in DIMM1 and DIMM3.  Check to see if any of the cables are damaged.  YOUR PC should be able to start up and output video with only RAM and a MOBO, so disconnect everything but the RAM, THE PSU, and THE MOBO.

If you still receive the error, try new DRAM in the slots.  If that doesn't work, it's most likely your motherboard, but on a smalllll chance that it could be your PSU, so if you swap the PSU and it still doesn't work, it is most definitely your motherboard.

*EDIT*  Look for blown capacitor/transistor on your board, which is usually a tell-tale sign of a damaged mobo.  

Also, could be your CPU, but that's the last thing you really want to test, as you have to pull out your heatsink, clean off the compound, install another cpu, and re-install the heatsink with compund, etc.

It's really rare, well at least from my point of view in Information Systems, that a CPU goes bad.  It's usually Hard Drives, Power Supplies, or Motherboards, that stop a PC from booting up.  RAM can usually just be reseated for a temporary fix, but if reseating your RAM resolves the issue, it's time to buy new DRAM.

If we're going to talk about transistors, shouldn't we inspect for problems with capacitors while we're at it?

@Krinkleneck , ya you're right.  I actually initially meant capacitor -_-

so i took everything apart, inspected everything and blew into all the inputs for everything just to try to get dust out and i put everything back together again.

i turned it on and it worked fine. strange...

thanks for all the help though, much appreciated

Thats Standard... Probably Dust in the PCIe or RAM slot preventing a clean start up