Computer Science Lounge - [Too Many Idea Men Edition]

I think it has to do with the fact that people steal code and the smarter people get the bigger the ego usually.

You'd think with better resources and more openness people wouldn't steal code, as they could write it understanding it instead of copying chunks and hoping for the best lol

I just want a really good resources on everything pointers.

I think i figured it out.

You can always ask me I did pretty well in a C and C++ course, C is one of my favorite languages, as of C++ I can answer the standard questions but I dont know too much about the more advanced pointers like smart pointers.

You should look at the C community vs the C++ community, I think if they were in the same room punches would be thrown.

To be fair this is also true of:

• Python 2 vs. 3,
  • Rust vs. Go
  • Opencv vs. MLT/Avisynth
  • The 45+ different, equally busted ways of writing JS

Nerds hate subjectivity in their choices. Their preference Has to somehow objectively better than others'

1 Like

what is the difference between python 2 and 3? I have used Python for only one very small project.

just some pedantic syntax/structural gotcha stuff. They're just different enough that 3 isn't fully backwards compatible. The problem is that there are tons of libs and code exclusive to one or the other, so you get the 3 fans complaining that they don't have X or Y library, which builds resentment from the community still actively using 2.

The problem is further complicated by linux distros that arbitrarily decide to standardize on one or the other, breaking half of the body of python apps just because the devs didn't want to account for another pathway to make them coexist.

Every time I read anything about using Python they always use Python 2. That makes sense now why they really emphasize this point.

Despite the split, they still cooperate to a certain extent.

JS fragmentation makes python look like a 100% united front lmao

you talking about like angular.js, react.js, ect?

yeah. seems like a new one pops up every 15 minutes, each more busted and requiring more dependencies and esoteric packaging systems than the last

I like Node.js for a server backend, JS is also strange how you can just do anything without breaking the code, feels more like set theory than a language.

Never tell a frontend dev you have preferences in JS. Ever.

I think I can get away with it though because Node.js is backend.

lol just fair warning. It's a dank, dark rabbit-hole that exits into a sewer of buzzword compliance and myriad ways to skin nonexistent cats.

meanwhile in the C community you dare do something out of the standard.....

If you aren't using C for the well defined spec and the low overhead though, D or C++ are always waiting in the wings.

I have never used D but I liked C++ much more than Java.

Java is great if you need laxy portability, but not great for much else. Oracle needs to let that shit die.