Computer Intermittently Freezes for 1-5 Seconds

You’re not going to find anything relevant to your freezing issue under the Security event logs section (and everything looks fine in your screenshot). Stick with just the Application and more importantly the System logs for troubleshooting hardware issues.

Have you considered running some stress/benchmarking tests in an attempt to invoke problem? If you think it’s a GPU issue try running Heaven benchmark while keeping an eye on hwinfo temperatures and power peaks. Other tests you could run afterwards would be CPU (cinebench or prime95) and a RAM test (memtest86 or Windows Memory Diagnostic)… but I really think your issue is GPU related based on your event log driver crash.

1 Like

I downloaded and ran Heaven on ultra settings. UL corner reported 83C; UR: 84C; LR: 133.4 fps, etc.

Ran HWiNFO64 log during test. Pulled csv into excel. A through JG columns. Many non-numeric. Don’t know what to look for here.

Found I could still grab the Afterburner graphs. Don’t know if they show anything interesting.

Downloaded and ran CinebenchR23. Shockingly, my pc didn’t appear amongst the top ten. Also, the system did not freeze/stutter.

Both memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic look like they’ll require substantial downtime. Saved for later, especially considering that I just put new memory in the system the other day and the issue continues.

Open to suggestions.

Actually, let’s back up for one minute here if that’s okay with you. You posted an event log 5 days ago that showed a GPU driver crash. Would you mind searching your event log for other occurrences to either prove or disprove it being the root cause of your intermittent freezing? There should be an event logged after every crash.

Open Event Viewer, Expand ‘Windows Logs’ and right-click ‘System’. Choose 'Filter Current Log…" and search by “Keyword”: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding

So are there a tons of events listed? Yes? Now next time your display freezes check your System log and verify it logged that same error message again.

1 Like

I sought to follow your instructions, but was unable to apply keywords. Yes, the same system warning message appeared after the freeze, but, when I right clicked “System” and chose “filter current log” I was given a dialog that had a keyword field, however I can only choose from a drop down menu and I cannot enter any text into the field.

Oooops :flushed:. Sorry, should had been: Right-click ‘System’ → Find.

OK, using the right-click >> find, I can skip thru and look at each one individually but it doesn’t give me a list of just those. There have been 73 so far this month – a bit more than 5/day.

What do I look at next?

BTW, per Mach’s suggestion, I earlier used DDU to remove the display drivers and then when directly to NVidia to get the latest non-beta.

That sounds like your issue. Each time the display driver crashes and recovers you’re seeing it as a freeze up.

And since it was happening with your 1070ti, it’s unlikely to be a hardware issue with your 2070 Super. So if it was me, I’d troubleshoot it as a software related issue. I have a few suggestions you can try but I would recommend doing them one at a time so you know what [hopefully] solved your problem.

• Install latest motherboard BIOS firmware and disable ‘Fast Boot’ in UEFI Setup. Some video cards have trouble with coming out of a low power state. A long shot but worth a try.

• DDU your display drivers again and install an older version of NVDIA’s game ready drivers. Preferably install a driver release that predates your issue.
    v511.79 - February 14, 2022
    v471.96 - August 31, 2021

• Use the System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe) to disable all your non-essential startup items.

• And if all else fails do a clean install of Windows. If you have a spare drive laying around you could do a test installation of just Windows to verify the issue has be resolved before nuking your current installation.

1 Like

Miss matched memory kits could cause all kind of weird issues.
But i see you already changed that.
I see you also tried to uninstall the gpu drivers using ddu and reinstalled them.
If your gpu driver is crashing then you might wanna try a clean install of windows.
And see if that issue pre exists.

But it could also be something else.
A few additional questions i have for you.

• Do you have any other USB devices connected to your system,
    other then a keyboard an mouse?

• What kind of drives have you connected to the motherboard?

. regarding windows re-install. my license is a kingwin type key and having had issues w/re-installs in the past, and being uncertain whether this will necessitate buying a new license, I’m hesitant to reinstall windows.

. regarding msconfig disabling of non-essential startup items, in the services tab, with all ms services hidden and the remainder sorted by status, these shown are the only once currently running. Dissenter is related to a browser.
qsysconfig

The startup tab refers me to the task manager’s startup tab where sorted by statup impact, you can see the only onese that are enabled. Don’t know what to say about “Program” as the last element in that list.

. regarding DDU-ing again but this time going to a previous driver: I installed the 2070 Super in Dec. of 2021 which I believe means that I would have updated to the 2021/08/31 driver. I believe that with GeForce Experience running, it nags me to update to the latest drivers and I would have obeyed when the 2022/02/14 driver was released. I guess that having only recently DDU-ed to remove all former driver spooj, something could have remained to mess stuff up for the current install, but shouldn’t the current drivers after DDU be as clean?

. regarding BIOS: BIOS firmware updates tend to scare me with warnings of potential brickings. I’ll boot into the bios and attempt to determine it’s current version as well as attempt to disable Fast-Boot in the UEFI setup.

Angel

Here is the list of drives installed.
qDriveDataC

C is the 860 EVO
E is the rarely touched 4tb hgst
F is a tiny thumb drive attached to the case that sometimes, but rarely, is removed.

qDriveData
qDriveDataE
qDriveDataF

Alkafrazin

The computer and monitor go thru a TrippLite UPS.

Regarding updating the bios firmware:

. Neither the ASRock splash screen or the UEFI seem to indicate the current firmware version

. I found an ASRock Latest Drivers Update page and besides not knowing what any of this stuff is, none of it seems directed at my motherboard.
https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=Drivers

. On the “Lastest BIOS Update” page, I couldn’t find anything that specifically referenced my ASRock Z390 Pro4 motherboard.
https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=BIOS

Relatively wary here…

Understandable. Probably best to exhaust all other options first before considering a reinstall then.

Do you need Dissenter, Logitech, PIA, or TeraCopy for the next day while troubleshooting? If not disabling them will be helpful in narrowing down the problem. You can also temporarily disable the Intel services but I’d leave NVIDIA and Realtek enabled… judging by the scroll bar in your screenshot there are probably quite a few others that can be disabled.

You can temporarily disable everything listed there. “Program” is likely pointing to ‘C:\Program’ and left behind by a poorly written application attempting to add a startup item. If that’s the case it’s not hurting anything. You can leave it as-is, delete it, or disabled… doesn’t matter.

If you know the date and still have the old installer in your downloads folder definitely go with that one first. And just to be clear, I’m not suggesting that you should install an old NVIDIA driver and continue to run it as a solution. It’s just for diagnosing the problem so it really doesn’t matter how old the driver is… just needs to support your current build of Windows and your GPU model.

Updating BIOS is a pretty routine task but if you’re not comfortable then don’t do it. Just disable Fast Boot and move on with other troubleshooting.

1 Like

You don’t need to activate Windows 10 for a test install, just remove or unplug any of your existing drives and then load windows onto a cheap $30 SSD from a USB installation media.

This will allow you to avoid installing any third party software such as MSI Center/Dragon Center or Afterburner/GPU Tweak. When prompted by the installer, click on the option for “I have no internet”, enter key later, uncheck all boxes, and say no to cortana. This is the cleanest you can install w10 out of the box without doing anything extra and should be enough for a stability test. Load only the bare minimum software and whatever is giving you the most trouble. If it passes, you’re probably having software issues with your current OS build. If it doesn’t, take a closer look at your hardware.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.