[Completed] Getting 100Mbit connection upstairs

Admittedly, I have not read all the replies to this subject but if you are using a switch (I seem to recall something about D-Link) make sure the switch can provide the speed you want. I would advise a 10/100/1000 Mbps switch. They cost less than 20 bux these days.

My father in law came over today and I "helped" him do it. So happy with the result!

The downstairs phone port

After pulling the phone port off. There's not a lot of room for an ethernet cable

We drilled a hole into the wardrobe of the adjacent room to my office, which is directly above the phone port as we measured it. Using a reel of string with a bit of metal attached to it, we dropped it down the wall cavity to try to fish it from the hole in the bricks downstairs.

Apparently we lined it up perfectly, as you can see the string.

We pulled a length of string out through the hole in the bricks, then attached one end of the ethernet cable to it.

From upstairs I pulled the string to get the ethernet cable in the wall cavity.

Inside the wardrobe. From here we drilled through to the wall into my office, using some conduit to tidy the cable a bit.

The hole in my office where the faceplate will go

At this stage we went to get the hardware we needed to finish the project.

Here is the ethernet and phone cable sticking out of the bricks before putting the faceplate on

Finished downstairs

Finished in my office (some cleaning required)

And for the finale, the before and after speed tests!

Before

After

Thanks for all your advice. In the end this has been a very satisfying project.

8 Likes