Compatibility Check

Hi crew,

before I pull the trigger on my first 10GBe gear I need a quick second pair of eyes telling me I´m not getting this wrong.

Will these two be compatible?
Mellanox ConnectX-2 MNPA19-XTR PCIe x8 NIC
Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN

Looking into setting up a local cluster and this seems to be the cheapest solution to get a managed 10GBe network between the nodes.

Thanks so much!

There is not a general reason a SFP+ module may not work in ConnectX-2 but some firmware might just refuse it just because, that’s true at either end of whatever cable. That probably won’t be factor on this card but there’s another reason not to pick this particular card -

I would recommend to aim for a ConnectX-3 model - your ebay link is china shipping anyway. The ConnectX-2 I had initially the same idea with - was much too hot (active cooling is mandated, which the card, expecting server airflow, does not have).

i’ve used this seller more than once (this is not a vouch, in my cases I paid, then I got the thing and that’s all). It’s also cheaper/better (and I don’t see why they’d not ship to .de)

But - how are you planning on connecting things together. if it’s <=7m perhaps you want DAC cables rather than LC SFP+'s.

I also use the same mikrotik switch. if you want 4 SFP+ slots it’s great.

(don’t accidentally delete the bridge interface in WebFig).

2 Likes

Hi exovert

that’s exactly the information I came for. Thank you so much for taking the time and reply.
Based on the link I tell you are a British bloke? Have lots of colleagues there. Myself I live in Germany.

Yes, the switch and nodes with sit on a shelf and even if I repurpose them later my rack is only 24HU so 1m cables should work. Thanks again for that DAC cable suggestion.

This is my first endeavour in 10GBe land and I want to avoid the costly rookie mistakes.

I know they are more expensive, but I would personally not buy anything under a ConnectX-4 these days. Nvidia doesnt make new drivers for CX-3 and below anymore, though the current drivers still work in Windows. But Microsoft may come along at some point in an update and break something and you will be SOL. Nvidia only supports drivers for CX-4 and above now officially. So a ConnectX-3 will still work, but for how long is unknown.