Compaq Presario 5190 with MV 700 Monitor

Not sure what category to put this in... But whatever.

TL:DR Behold! This is the oldest piece of crap that I have, and I just got it for free.

Back story behind this Compaq:
Girl I know at work knows a guy that wants to get rid of his old computer. Apparently, he purchased it new while he was in Italy and used it for an undetermined amount of years. Then, when he moved back to the US with all his stuff, he never bothered to unpack his Compaq (lol). So it's been sitting in storage for 10 years.

I'm gonna be using this thread as a sort of unbuild log. I'm taking this old tower apart to clean it, and then I'll see if the whole system works.
I'll be updating this thread from time to time with pictures and any progress that is made.

If it doesn't work, have you thought about maybe using the case (if it uses a normal formfactor) for a 'sleeper' build? Taking that to a LAN being all sneaky beaky with badass hardware inside :P

1 Like

I've always entertained the idea, but I'd have to see what I could stuff in there. The case is not as large as it may seem.

Oh man, I had a Compaq 4800 series when we grew up. The intro to the system to get it registered and such was a interactive movie featuring John De Lance (Q) . Stuck a Voodoo 2 in that thing, Quake, Team Fortress Classic, Wing Commander Prophecy, Freespace series was my life back then. The monitor Dsub connector had pins for the volume controls on the monitor we had, which were disabled after I upgraded the vid card. Daddo wasn't happy about that haha.

Good stuff, thanks for the memories.

1 Like