CoMmUnItY eNgAgEmEnT -- L1T Leader AMA: AdminDev Edition

anything that isn’t written on cave walls is bloated

3 Likes

How do you like living in Texas?

1 Like

If you are having issues with finding, i guess, impetus to do anything tech related.
What are you doing that does motivate you?
Like any hobbies, side gigs etc?

@SgtAwesomesauce I wonder if I have any notes, I hope not, but I remember pissing one of the mods off. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Can’t get into too much with respect to the rules, but for the most part I like the weather, generally, and I like a lot of the people. The culture is cool, depending on where you go, and the job opportunities are a plenty.

I don’t like the law enforcement in wealthy places and low income places, I don’t like some of the religious practitioners, but I do like their Christ and I do like a lot of their pastors and leaders. The influx of people from California have made some places toxic and hostile.

Other than that, I really like it. Only other place I’d go is Colorado or Wyoming, but I heard they don’t like people from Texas.

3 Likes

Prolly not really the only part we need is the ability to create and restore (mount) snapshots

Arch/manjaro I can usually rescue by booting from USB and chrooting and using the package manager. So that’s all we need prolly.

No need to do everything at once. Can just boot menu the last x snapshots and snapshot on update . Good to go.

Check out tim and … one other b/u util? Tho these seem slower and less elegsnt than snapshots

3 Likes

I’m writing a book, currently. I am also getting back into exercising.

4 Likes

I think you’d lose the good weather in both of those places.

2 Likes

Ooooh what’s the book about?

I’ve started exercising again too, been going through an awful breakup and i couldn’t bear looking myself in the mirror. Keep with it :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Scifi or Fantasy?

1 Like

New Jersey mafia wants to go modern. They hire a former government contractor to standup the network. The government contractor gets involved with the Don’s daughter, with the family’s approval, but she is caught in the crossfire of the mob’s competition. They rape and murder her. The government contractor utilizes his mafia, government, and military resources to strike back.

Man on Fire meets The Sopranos meets Mr. Robot meets Law Abiding Citizen.

9 Likes

Hard Science Fiction. Going to make it as real as it gets. I’m standing up a local network to breach from the outside to get it as accurate as possible.

2 Likes

Shit dude, this sounds awesome.

3 Likes

I’d read that :ok_hand:
I have distant family in the mafia and it’s always been something of an interest to me, learning about my ancestors and their sheer brutality.

Some research has shown that this sort of violent behavior is hereditary, and if you look at my family history you can see that clearly. But it does make one wonder, how much does it actually effect us day to day.
This segways into my next question haha, what is your heritage? Anything you find cool about those that came before you?

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve had it toiling in my head for a while, but I couldn’t think of the twist/catalyst. I was watching The Sopranos again recently and thought “Man, what if Meadow’s boyfriend was in netsec?”

Boom. Started writing that day lol.

I hope it executes well.

4 Likes

How much do I annoy you.

3 Likes

My Dad told me I was Irish growing up, and so I played into that by drinking a lot in my teens and twenties. A few years ago, those idiots did that ancestry thing.

Fucking viking and Scandinavian bloodlines :crossed_swords: :metal: I always had an affinity toward fighting, not street fighting but competition. I also always loved giant fucking battle axes. Makes sense, I suppose. My mom used to tell me I was born 3,000 years too late.

I grow the beard in honor of my ancestors. And my wife loves it.

Thanks!

And that sounds fucking fascinating. How did you come across that information?

2/10 on a bad day, 1 being not at all and 10 being I never want to speak to you again.

5 Likes

I’d also read, sounds awesome.

What is your favorite desktop environment, Windows and MacOS included?

1 Like

I’m actually impressed that I’m that well behaved.

1 Like

Shit, I need to get off my ass and finish it, then :grin:

If I can only pick one, Gnome3 hands down. I understand the memory issues/leaks and prone to crashes.

If I’m allowed a tie, Gnome3 and KDE. KDE is cool, especially paired with LatteDock. I like the aesthetics of it. But it crashes on my hardware, A LOT. And it becomes near unusable after a week or so. Not sure if I update too frequently (old habits) or what. But on Debian and Fedora it is buggy af.

2 Likes

Gnome is nice because it’s super consistent aesthetically, and they do a pretty good job of tying all of the applications together. Still hate it cuz it kicked my cat though

1 Like