Comcast Wifi Motion

So, being a Comcast subscriber, I was wondering if there will be a way to disable this feature on the Comcast Arris devices or not.

I just received an email from them about HOW GREAT this feature will be for you know, SECURITY.

I also viewed the latest hardware news episode from Gamers Nexus mentioning this very feature.

If you want to make a project out of it, sure I guess you could try to find a way. If you have a few hundred to spend on your own router and modem you could just do that instead.

I am also a Comcast user, but I bought my own arris surfboard, plus a Pfsense box and an AP years ago, so whatever their reason is for wanting to know when someone is nearby the router I don’t have to worry about it. That comes at a not-insignificant cost though, so you do you.

Thanks for the feedback, hoping they allow us to disable this function but i have a feeling they will not or if they do then a SILENT enabling of the function will keep happening :frowning:

As long as they let you turn off their wifi all you would need is an AP. This is based on what I heard about thtis a year ago tho. You would theoretically need to actually control the antenna firmware in order to do this.

Although I also heard there was consideration to bake this into a wifi standard so maybe this is just the beginning at home. There are multiple companies I’ve heard of selling the software for this for a while. I think maybe 2 years. Although I don’t actually know if they ever got any big customers. There are so many options that seem much better for businesses if they want to track indoors. How many businesses out there like putting security systems over wifi…

1 Like

Stop using any isp supplied routers. They are all hot garbo and they put “features” like this in it and force you to deal with it. You don’t own it, and your whole network is at their control.

Isn’t this actually going to be built into the DOCSIS device ?

Be it Arris or whomever the OEM is for Comcast ?