Coil Whine on Asrock Taichi 7900 XTX

I got the ASRock Taichi 7900 XTX yesterday (same one Wendell reviewed) and it has a coil whine problem most noticeable in Doom Eternal running at 1440p at 150+fps however it is audible in other games with framerates as low as 60fps. This is after previously having a reference 7900 XTX from AMD that I returned for the hotspot issue but it also had coil whine.

I recently got a Corsair HX1000i PSU which is also on a UPS with fresh batteries.

I haven’t seen coil whine reports on an AIB 7900 XTX, just the reference ones. The new PSU should be more than adequate considering it is a platinum unit and power should be clean coming from a UPS.

Did I just get really unlucky? Unsure whether I want to go through yet another return but it does suck to have this happen twice. Maybe I’ll do some GPU burn in with furmark and hope it goes away.

I’d be interested to know if Wendell’s card also had coil whine. It wasn’t mentioned in the review so I assume not.

Also sidenote about the card. It seemed kind of odd to me that the GPU support bracket it comes with has holes for two screws but they don’t line up with the holes on the GPU so only one screw can be used. ASRock’s product page only shows one screw holding the GPU up. Just seems weird to me.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.